Thursday, January 29, 2009

Being Human and Building Anticipation

FURTHER TO THE ranty goodness below, I want to talk more about promoting shows using the Interwebs.

(And to those who snickered a bit at my...vitriol level in the last post, there's a couple good reasons why I let go like that. The first is that, as I said, it's a network-neutral proposition. You don't have to feel like you're singling out any one Canadian net, cause they all kind of suck at this. Second, I really have been sitting in meetings for fifteen years hearing the same promises about the web, very lofty ideas about community and such and so on, much talk of milking of unicorns, but getting the synopsis, trailer, airdates and times, and cast list up never seems to be within the power of the brain trust. I figure, over fifteen years, I'm owed about two days worth of time from useless git meetings like that.)


I think this also says something about creativity and how to really try something different.

Imagine making a show where you don't back away from the concept?

BBC has done it. Again.

The pitch:

A vampire, a ghost, and a werewolf share a flat.

That's it.

The trailer:



Being Human was piloted in February 2008. Now, the series has started running in the UK. The website's here. Please note all the meat-and-potatoes goodness. (You probably can't play most of the clips if you're outside of the UK)

Now, if you were going to do the YouTubes for a show like this, what would you do? Maybe release a few prequels hinting at the backstory of your characters? Good idea.

Done.




Now.

Any questions?

H/T to Matt Watts

3 comments:

PS said...

Here's the thing, though: if you're gonna use the interwebs for promotion, you still have to bring the heat. That ghost trailer was pretty obvious and the guy's acting was ATROCIOUS (the werewolf trailer pretty much stank, too - 5 minutes? Really?!). I was semi-interested based on the original teaser trailer, but they pretty much lost me with that ghost trailer. If that's any indication of the quality of the show...

I am hoping someone picks up No Heroics, though. Think there might be a format buy on this side of the pond?

DMc said...

Well, taste is always subjective.

I thought the teasers were fun. Doesn't matter about the acting of the guy in the ghost thing because you never ever see him again.

I watched the first episode and it's uneven but pretty appealing. If you like that genre-y stuff. Romance/angst, comedy/nerdiness, and Angel-like vampire brooding. Kind of a Shallow Grave-y thing happening too. Nice diverting TV.

Elize Morgan said...

They really did a good job with it. Although I've yet to access most of the stuff on the site, the actual content looks good (especially since it's a BBC 3 show).

That show, too, got "saved" (if you believe the wiki page) because of the net presence, so that's another thing.

The joy of the cult fan base is that one episode and almost getting dropped will spark a lot more than some other genres.