Monday, July 14, 2008

Just Wait Til I Brawl With Rip Torn!

I GOT A few phone messages today that I found a bit mystifying until I came across this, in John Doyle's column in the Globe & Mail today.

In the matter of TV and the other bits of the popular culture, we Canadians have a terrifically complicated, tortured relationship with the beast. It's all passive aggressive.

Personally, I don't feel validated by merely being in L.A. and in close proximity to network TV stars. At the same time, I was delighted to see that the hilarious and wacky CBC soap opera MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives has been getting good reviews in the United States and is doing well on ABC's all-soap SoapNet channel. Some American critics got it, totally - the sexy, broad farce at the core of the show.

In The New Yorker, TV columnist Nancy Franklin wrote: "The opening credits combine funny and sexy better than any show I've ever seen: Synched to the propulsive beat of Sloan's 2006 hit Who Taught You to Live Like That is a quick succession of really close-up shots of gorgeous men getting dressed to play hockey and of gorgeous women getting dressed to go out and get those men who play hockey. The 35-second sequence is as gloriously over the top as can be, and no show could live up to it, but MVP is a good beach read, so to speak, if you need a break from all that Goethe and Plato."

It's a very good notice from a serious magazine that has an excellent eye for the delicious pleasures of pop culture.

Mind you, not everyone in the Canadian TV racket is pleased. In his much-read, daily online piece about TV, Denis McGrath (who writes episodes of The Border and tries to make it sound like he's doing Norman Mailer-esque toil on a really, really important drama) sneered with a cattiness that he couldn't contain. "I love The New Yorker, but come on, that review is like the puckish story they'll run once in a while where somebody writes, 'in defence of championship wrestling....'

Heh heh. The interesting thing is, of course, Doyle and I essentially agree, if not always on the examples, then certainly on the underlying problem. I've nosed around the points Doyle makes today quite a bit lately. And as I've stated before, my only problem with MVP was execution. I just think it didn't go far enough with the Soapy stuff. I stand by that opinion. And anybody who says different can go fight a goddamn bear.

Still, it's nice that apparently ABC SoapNet is pleased. Though I'll be damned if I could find that billboard in Times Square when I was down in NYC two weeks ago. Oh well.

Tomorrow, I start shooting my 2nd Border ep of the season, so blogging might be light til the weekend.

I've been a little nervous the last couple weeks about this script, since it's really an attempt to try and make a "change of pace" episode. It's much funnier and lighter than we've done on the show. Which is, you know...a risk.

But it read great this afternoon -- and the BLUE draft's on its way out and hopefully tomorrow things will go well.

And as an added bonus, the ep is almost a mini-reunion of people from my Across The River to Motor City project: Director Michael DeCarlo and me, plus actors Matthew Deslippe, David Fox and Bruce Hunter.

Should be fun.

Or... I mean to say, I better get a move on. Apparently I have four wives to find, and then I goddamn well better find a way to make that scene work on the day, cause let's face it -- If I can't make it work, then the whole goddamn system collapses and the bastards win...

Mailer-esque sounds like too much work.

2 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Since you're sad you missed the beefcake ... this was the billboard.

Good luck with the ep.

Lee said...

Only four wives to find, huh?

Well... if you need anyone with actual wifing experience ...

Bonne chance!