Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My G G G G G Generation and the CBC...

THE CBC IS embroiled in a bunch of no-foolin stuff these days, it seems.

First, there's the ongoing controversy about taking the Radio Two service and reducing the amount of morning and afternoon drive time classical, in favor of folk, jazz, and other styles of music.

People who like it the way it is have their panties in a bunch.

Then there's the ongoing imbroglio over Richard Stursberg's attempts to reverse CBC's audience slide by pursuing a more populist programming strategy, built on drama series instead of mini series and TV movies that explore Canadian historical themes.

R.H. Thompson has his panties in a bunch.

To be fair, as John Doyle writes today, there are those who are concerned that CBC seems to be backing away from its committment to News and Current Affairs -- which they have traditionally done very well at and which provide a valuable public service.

So News Junkies have their panties in a bunch.

Now comes the news that, Oh My God, they're going to cancel the Air Farce after about a million years.

Cue the panties.

I have to say, I've always thought that having three satirical news programs on CBC TV was a bit much. Still, I find the news about Air Farce quite surprising, especially since they have done quite a bit to refresh both their writing staff and their talent in the last few years.

But aside from the fact that complaining about the CBC has got to be one of the top five sports in Canada, what strikes me most is that all these things happening at once really does point to a profound generational struggle over who the public broadcaster is going to serve.

A lot of the things that generate the most carping -- George, Jian, Radio 3, are all the things waiting in the wings that I find the most interesting.

For the first time, ever, it seems like the Baby Boomers are not on the most favored nation side of that argument, that generational struggle.

I wonder if, in years to come, when you look back on the fights going on right now, if it will all look as quaint as, say, the fact that the BBC kept Rock and Roll off the air as long as it could.

In any case, whoa nelly, it's gonna be ugly.

Nobody argues like this about NPR.

EDIT: if you read between the lines of this article about the show's cancellation by Lee-Anne Goodman, it seems to me like it wasn't particularly that much of a surprise to Abbot and Ferguson. The timeslot conundrum is a big one for CBC -- remember, they don't have ANY 10pm drama slots to give out. I'd bet -- watch for Holiday Air Farce specials to become a fixture on the CBC.

And other than that, only thing I can say is Thank GOD they got another quote from Waddell at ACTRA!

Sheesh.

10 comments:

Geoffrey Firmin said...

You are not being fair in your account. I don't hear many of the people complaining about the CBC's drive to "populism" asking for more historical mini-series (though the lauded "Englishman's Boy" did as well as any of the new shows). They mostly want the CBC to do something distinct from the privates. And I don't see many people mourning the loss of the Air Farce. No knotted panties on that score ... except maybe for Luba Goy's. They had a very good run and not many people have found them funny for a very long time. Look at the Letters to the Editor in today's Globe and you will find that the dissatisfaction is rooted the perception that the service is being "dumbed down". I don't know if this is true, to my mind it has been, with a couple of exceptions, pretty mediocre for years and years, and pretty much still is. If it's a "dumber" mediocre I cannot say.

DMc said...

Geoffrey, I'm not being fair, and I count at least three or four canards and assumptions in your comments.

Look in the letters section of the Globe and Mail and you will see letters to a paper with one third of the circulation of the Toronto Star.

I'm upfront about my assumptions and my musings. Do you dare to examine yours the same way?

ladycanuck said...

I admit that I haven't watched Air Farce that often in the last two years. However, I am surprised it's going considering the fact that it managed to make it over the half-mil mark in viewers in a Friday timeslot.

I agree with the direction the Ceeb is going in. We still have CBC Newsworld for all the extra news shows, there's Documentary Channel for the docs, and then there's Bold (ha!) for the artsy stuff. Right?

The truth of the matter is that if the Ceeb is to survive, it needs better-rated shows. I hate the ratings system--we all know it's flawed--but by trying to hit big marks, there's a larger likelihood that more good shows will get viewers. The important thing right now is getting eyeballs to CBC. It should go with quantity of viewers for now and quality later. We've all seen that quality shows can't get a ton of viewers until there's actually people watching the net to begin with. FOX, for instance, used to be #4 down south and than when Idol hit the airwaves, suddenly people were watching FOX shows. Now there's House, Prison Break, Bones and New Amsterdam on FOX--much better fare than before.

CBC did a great job this year. I disagree with the naysayers. With more 1-hour dramas than ever before, I'm recognizing the effort the net went to. Sure, maybe Intelligence wasn't promoted well and maybe MVP shouldn't have gotten the Friday deathslot, but there was a big improvement this past season compared to earlier ones.

Dwight Williams said...

Has anyone else noticed what CBC Bold has scheduled for weekday afternoons?

ladycanuck said...

I just looked at the schedule and I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe we can call Bold the new CanCon channel. Sure, there's a couple AmShows like The Comeback, but I think the channel's now 95% Cancon.

BookwormBlogger said...

You know, it's interesting.

I think Air Farce has been far past its prime as a show. There were a lot of moments where my Dad and I would sit down to watch the show, and I savour those moments. But I haven't done that for many years. Particularly because I felt like once John Morgan retired and they brought in the new crew, it didn't have the same vibe. That probably should of been the first hint that they should of looked at cancelling.

The show had its moments, but eventually it started to feel like it was all very tired, and I lost interest.

Air Force Live I actually haven't heard much about. Didn't seem like they were pushing it much, but I've been curious, yet unable to catch it when it's on. I should make an effort.

It's had a good run, but I do think it's time to let it go to rest.

jimhenshaw said...

Are you young whipper-snappers the reason I have to put up with "Coronation Street" and "The Tudors"?

Maybe you could do something about moving them along too...

ladycanuck said...

Not this young whipper-snapper...not that what I watch matters as I'm not living in a major city. I do watch a hell of a lot of shows though. If you were to tabulate the percentage of my scripted TV-watching per net (excluding sports and docs), here it is:

CTV 25.97%
GLOBAL 20.78%
CBC 15.58%
CITY 10.39%
ABC 6.49%
SPACE 5.19%
BBC 5.19%
CW 5.19%
APTN 2.60%
VISION 2.60%

Generally, when a show is on both a CanNet and an AmNet, I choose whatever one fits into my DVR schedule. While some shows I watch (like Grey's and Canadian Idol) are very popular, I find that my fave shows (like McLeod's Daughters and Jericho) seem to never make it into the popular crowd of shows. I watched CBC a lot more this past year than in previous years. I used to watch the CW alot (back when they had shows like Buffy, Roswell, Gilmore GIrls and Veronica Mars) but now there's not much on there worth my time.

Anonymous said...

It's about time they canceled Air Farce. I used to love the show when I was a kid and it was on the radio. But that was over 30 years ago.

Dave Broadfoot was the funniest member of the cast. And the smartest. He had the sense to know when it was time retire.

Anonymous said...

I'm not too sad to see Air Farce go. Almost 40 years combined in radio and TV is an incredible achievement in any country's entertainment industry and for that, they should be commended. But it was time to call it day.

Now, let's see the kids from Galacticast get a chance to play in the CBC sandbox. Maybe they could get a trial run on Bold before moving to the main network.

As for radio 2, I think it's great that they're opening up the formats more. Radio-Canada's Espace Musique is similar in that they play many different styles, including Jazz and classical, and it sounds great. I'd love to see radio 2 move in that direction.

RH Thompson was brilliant in The Englishman's Boy but the show felt like a throwback to the things CBC did in the 70's. It was a pleasant throwback, but it was throwback, if you know what I mean.