Monday, March 3, 2008

Well, That Explains a Few Things, Then

OKAY. I KNOW. It's for an article deliberately targeted for the gay demographic.

But quotes like this -- or the long-ago CBC launch event where the creator of the new show said, "we wanted to make a show for people who don't watch TV..."

These things, they just...

...they just don't help.

"The thing about me," says Kent Staines, writer and cocreator of CBC's new series MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives, "is I know nothing about hockey. Nothing. Zero."
Sigh.

MVP
is a show that, had it been executed well and consistently, could have triangulated three demos that could have made it a hit: gay men who respond the way that Staines is speaking of in this article, women who watch even though they don't really like hockey because they love hockey players, and 3 -- the men and the women who ACTUALLY LIKE THE GAME, TOO.

The L Word is not a hit because it's just lesbians watching. And talk to them writers on Queer as Folk all those years, and try to tell them that they didn't pull from the straight audience too.

I swear, does every one of us in this industry -- every single stinkin one of us, need serious media training? Gagggguuuggh!

I need a break. I'm going to Florida. Might check in. Might not. We'll see.

Gaaah!

6 comments:

MarkCF said...

Come on down, Denis! The waters' fine; the suns' bright and maybe, just maybe I hear, Syd The Kid will lace up tomorrow night against the Lightning!

MarkCF said...

Oh yeah, and the Jameson's flowing!

Scott said...

Kent, Kent, Kent -- I weep for my homo people.

Seriously though: Denis, you're totally right about the triangulation. I look at 'Friday Night Lights' as a perfect example: a show about a subject (Texas high school football) I know or care nothing about yet so well acted, written and produced that I'm not only a huge fan but have come to understand why the subject matters.

'MVP' could be that show if only everyone involved with it didn't set their sights so low.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, Denis--it's Xtra. No matter what the guy said, they would have edited it to fit their spin/agenda regardless. And I say this as someone who has written for them in the past and learnt this lesson the hard way.

Shawna said...

Hey, where in Florida? I'm in Orlando, working, but if you are in the vicinity, maybe a drink?

ladycanuck said...

I was a bit put off by that article too. As a female who loves hockey, I think it's the fatal weakness of the show that the the writers got a lot of little facts wrong (and trust me, sports fans are picky like me when it comes to details about their sport).

I really like MVP but that article sure doesn't paint a good picture for me.