It's a shame that the show never really found its feet, though numbers have actually trended up a bit since moving to Fridays. (MVP, which switched timeslots with the show, continues to struggle on Tuesdays.)
JPOD finished the season with a very small story department, and I think half of them are already working on other shows. So producers, hop to it...get a-hiring. And maybe they'll even tell you all the dirt.
Though probably they won't, because Canadian TV writers are all fine, circumspect, God-fearing, peaceloving upright citizens.
From the SUN:
About 150 jPod cast and crew members are out of a job.All due respect to Larry Sugar, but the promotion wasn't the problem here.Larry Sugar, executive producer of jPod, was shaken by the cancellation. Sugar says the network did not adequately promote the show.
"No other show was intended to meet the mandate of Canadian broadcasters than a show that was written by one of the great Canadian writers," said Sugar. "To not fully support it is beyond me."I really love the show, and I think it's as good as anything I have done."
The CBC mounted an online promotion when jPod was launched, including a website that contained blogs of the show's characters and jPod video games.
Good "Dead Things" wishes to the cast and crew -- hope you all land on your feet soon. Thank heavens at least Vancouver's ramping back up again, post strike...
7 comments:
I questioned at the beginning of the season whether Jpod was the type of show that could get good ratings in Canada and I was right, because it didn't.
I wonder if MVP would have done better had it not started on Fridays. I'm curious whether it would have done much better to begin on Tuesdays because it does have some mass appeal.
I noticed the lack of attention to Intelligence in the official CBC press release, as have others.
I'm fearing Bad News on that front. Hoping for better news, though...?
I logged on for one episode, and concur with your assessment. I won't go into detail about Jpod except to say that I think many of the points you made re: Terminal City and Breaking Bad and the pacing of both apply in this instance.
You can't judge jPod by watching only one episode, especially if it was the pilot. Some shows take a while to hit their stride, and jPod has been moving closer and closer with every episode. That's why the ratings trended up after it was moved; the later episodes were much better.
Halibet -
Uh, no.
Every episode of every show is someone's first (to paraphrase Stan Lee), and it has to be accessible.
JPOD wasn't.
And FYI - I watched episode 5 where Ethan's viral video karaoke singing to Kaitlin threatens to get out...along with 20 million other storylines that that sap the strength of that story engine.
JPOD sooooooo wanted to be a half hour, but it overstayed its welcome.
I'm sad the show is gone. I thought it was really good especially for something produced in Canada.
Those bastards! (shakes fist)
I loved Jpod! It was smart, funny, with quirky characters. I'm so bitter that they cancelled it. It was the best thing on TV (apart from Lost). Whoever runs the CBC has their heads up their ass. Why presume we want to watch stupid reality TV shows when we can get that kind of crap (and better done) on American tv. It was the kind of show that makes Canadian culture stand out. Must be the same people who cancelled Da Vinci.
Post a Comment