
If you're looking for more meta-comedy that was too good to last, you can't go wrong with Stella.
The sitcom, which featured Michael Ian Black, David Wain, and Michael Showalter perfecting the characters they'd tried out on New York comedy stages, is hard to explain. Or maybe it's not.
It's the Marx Brothers for the post Internet, 21st century age.
Stella is absurd in just about every way. Each episode bends time and convention, plays with notions familiar from a thousand sitcoms before it, and also the comedy shorts that once ruled the cinemas, whether they were the Marx Brothers, or Abbot and Costello, or The Goodies.
So simultaneously there's something fresh and new, and old and kind of sweet about the anarchy of the show. (How can you not love a group of men-child who yell, "Yayyy!" in unison everytime something good happens?
Michael Ian Black (who might be familiar from Ed...anyone? Anyone? Okay, your loss) is the snarky ringleader. David Wain is the hopless third also ran (who still, hilariously, manages to always score with women.) And Michael Showalter is Zeppo.

Well, he is.
It's hard to pick which of these eps are my favorite. Maybe the one where they open the coffee shop, which has the single greatest throwaway comedy ending I think I've ever seen. The one where the boys grow crops in their apartments and go through a rags to riches cycle of peasant farmers to agro-lords and back in a week is pretty biting, too. (In fact, one of the great charms of the series is how they go through huge changes in impossibly short timeframes.)
Oh, sure, I never quite recovered from the disappointment of Rashida Jones (Karen on The Office) not being one of the neighbors, (she left after the pilot) but the high-octane absurdity of Stella is hard to dislike. I once said (back when it was funny) that I couldn't see myself ever dating a woman who didn't laugh at The Simpsons. I would amend that to say if there's not something that makes you laugh in Stella, you're just not somebody who encourages joy in your life.
I mean, they're working so damn hard to please you.
Stella grew out of the late, lamented MTV show The State, which spawned a series of 28 popular short films filmed between 1998 and 2002, most of which you can still find on College Humor. They also have an official website.
For the celebrity whores among you, guest stars on Stella's 10 episodes included Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Topher Grace, Tim Blake Nelson, Alan Ruck, Janeane Garofalo, and Edward Norton.
The DVD has a fairly extensive interview that gives you the group's history -- and if you have any interest in how you hone a stage comedy act, it's pretty revealing. Especially when you can compare it to the Comedy Central Presents stage peformance, also on the disc.
Comedy Central allowed the show to wither and die after only one season, first broadcast in 2005. It's really too bad. But luckily, it's now on DVD so you may enjoy it again and again. I did.
It's depressing to note, as Michael Ian Black does on one of the commentary tracks: “It’s worth making the point that when we were making this, we thought we were making totally mainstream comedy.”
The fact that it's not mainstream - that in fact, most people don't have any room for Stella while Dane Cook... no. no. I've used that one so much it's practically a clam. Anyway...when I scratch my head and go, "uh oh" about Comedy's Future, Stella is one of the things I'm thinking about.
I've never seen Wet Hot American Summer (a movie they're responsible for...but I might have to mourn my way down to the video store to get it sometime soon.)
EDIT: 15 March: I should say, to clarify, the posts that exist here are not clips from the Stella sitcom -- they're from the Stella shorts that were shown at their stage shows. In that vein, they're generally a lot dirtier and a bit more frenetic than the series, which actually followed their plots and brought out their themes cleanly.
"Whooooo iiiiis iiiit?"
23 comments:
I love Stella! I bought it on your recommendation and actually agreed with you (I think we tend to run 50/50 ... I am putting that down to the guy-chick differential).
The Goodies! Oh my, haven't thought of them in ages but I used to love them. Does anybody know if any of their stuff is out on DVD?
denis, check this link out if you haven't seen their pre-series shorts yet--
http://www.collegehumor.com/user:398
freakin' inspired. and best use of a dildo in comedy ever.
i own wet hot american summer, and it's definitely not what i expected after seeing the series and shorts. some funny moments, though. david cross is always great. but christopher meloni's fridge-humping chef steals the show.
duh. missed that you already posted the link. that's what i get for settling with a "done with errors" page.
ah....Ed... sigh...I thought it was only me who loved this show.
Terry
Sounds like a goodie to me!
I’m over in early May, so point me in the direction of a DVD store and make me buy things... ;-)
Stella rules. One of the funniest shows out there. I've seen Wet Hot American Summer. Not quite the same, but some funny moments.
"I've got a tip for you."
Did I just see what I thought I saw?
Whaaaaaa da...!
Hey Kids:
Um, read anything good lately? This show's (Stella)excerpts (shorts, whatever) are nothing but infantile and easy. Why is third year university the pinnacle of comedy standards? Do any of you have further life experiences that bespeak of an opportunity to fuck with satire and parody? Hey, here's a primer, morons who think they can hang with Colbert,-- "Freidrich Durrenmatt: Selected Writings" among a myriad of others. And don't come back at me with your predictable (inadvertent) psychoanalytic crap about me waxing highbrow on your hirsute asses; yet another defence to keep your level of comedic acumen safe. Offer me a thoughtful response that legitimizes the need for this 'easy' collegiate (get it? it's on collegehumor[sic].com-- no that's not your whiteass appropriation of black culture's appellation "sick", Mr. and Mrs. Suburbanite)-- your easy collegiate characteristic, to allow you in here, that it's funny cause I've had six beers and I still get the subtext. It's just infantile and I mean that with Aristotle getting my back here, folks. You are what you write and you will improve if you honour the real funny...(this would be your cue to mark that my opinion is just that, an opinion; what I don't like is fine, just turn the dial ("press the key", "click the remote"-- just in case you comedic adjectival technophiles posing as the cultural elite would like to mark my critique as antiquated because I belie any attempt at sounding hip or 'now') but, folks, it's about decline...in the end and your the (supposed) cultural markers with your own works and tastes. Go get an education and get back to us with something that loves the risk of comedy's (uh-oh, here comes smarty-pants) existential threat.
Now if I'm not mistaken you blog visitors will now, necessarily (and defensively), become curious about what this "comment-bitch" deems humourous. Not needed for you all to get reflective. Don't kill the messengers, children.
Wow, that comment was better than Lunesta.
that comment kinda gave me a bit of a woody but then I realized that was a bit sophomoric...
There you go-- you silly-- you did it-- you did what I predicted from you (and that prediction makes the whole dialogue pathetic-- in that there's no dialogue). There you go, you know the name of an esoteric prescription drug that the masses don't necessarily have access to. Good for you for dropping the word "Lunesta"-- a word 'most' don't know. Now, dumbass, go read some Lacan and Barthes and realize (or, God forbid, learn) why you unconsciously respond with that lexicon and still don't improve the stakes of comedy. Address the problem of why "Stella" is considered funny and maybe, just maybe, in the culture of wonder we can think of things that are funnier. Hey, by-the-by, try some Diogenes and you'll get the treat of a real critic. That's right, google your heart out for a Diogenes hit...and it a reference to "360." Deal and don't make what you can't cognate boring. You are holding hands to be busted, Diane. Now this is the Internet...welcome to the other side of ether-stroking. Get funny.
p.s. Now, that bit from "Family Guy" on Denis site is frickin' hilarious--- discuss, wonder why.
Oh, and don't forget to imdb (as a verb) me to get what "I'm up to" coz with you dumbass video kids no words can speak on their own...give it an accessible context. "Who's this Fuck?" "Why should I listen to him?" "Hey, wha's he done?" "Oh, okay...now I see where he's coming from...yes, well, no wonder he sounds so vituperative." Imagine that I might simply be worried about culture, my kids and the future. "Lighten up idealist-boy." Well, that's just a 'position' ; a position that keeps the whole racket, um, well, immature. Get real! You're all being challenged right here. You're dumb and misinformed. Again, deal... . (Did you know that an ellipsis need be followed by a space and a period or do you believe that snobbery, too? It's all connected dumb-dumbs. I'm Kazoo... .)
I did "imdb" you. Sorry, I didn't know you were THAT Ross.
You mean this Ross?
Cause if an Alsatian wrote that, I have to tell you, I'm pretty fucking impressed.
You should watch more TV, Ross - then you'd know everyone knows about Lunesta because the commercials are on every 10 minutes.
Jeez, Diane, give him a break.
He's a Dog. He probably can't work the remote right.
I'm betting it's mef incognito...testing out a new character.
Oh my goodness. I love this guy. Keep it comin', Ross. This is GOLD. I feel like David Letterman to your Harvey Pekar. Parse that, Bee-yatch! (Oops. More appropriation. DAMN that Ross. Always one step ahead.)
this guy's complaining about sophmoric humour and then going on to say that family guy is hilarious? hypocrite...
Helloooo..."Family Guy" -- talking Dog?
Ross -- Dog?
Do I have to draw you people a map?
Or just buy you a copy of the Poetics.
shit. I can't do it good as Ross does.
Ahh, all your feelings were hurt... . Can we move to me lightening up now? Can you all tell me the typical consumerist response now? 'Coz the path was paved to this end as soon as one of you lovelys labelled me a hypocrite. Oh yeah, and still refrain from public reflection on what I proposed coz this Internet-thingy, well, it's a stroking place, folks...so, um, yeah-- let's lighten up. But before we do...can any of you offer up anything other than a quick retort when 'dealing' with a challenging post (don't forget to be angered by the presumptuous use of the word "challenging")? Funny isn't it-- the implicit behaviour you demand on this websites? How one must join the tribe in a certain manner... . True, I took the (temporary) safety of anonymity to bitch to you all but you (if so compelled) found me out.
Look, I like the funny, but my concerns (yes, concerns about what's deemed funny) still stand here. Open it up, kids. Don't be victimized by the ejaculatory nature of the technology you're using. These posts have the capability (depending on how they're used) to allow heated debate, discussion, wonder, hermeneutical insight into what we all find to be funny these days and why. Your quick answers do one thing and one thing only-- they inadvertently speak to a (un)natural cultural state of anti-intellectualism (a curse for this country's TV programming by the way). When you so easily find me a hypocrite, you're done thinking about my prickish proposal. One can find something funny, engaging or dramatic without the value of the epistemology suffering. It's a micro/ macro thingy, parsers. That bit posted from "Family Guy" is frickin' hilarious AND my other thoughts still stand. The proposed ideas don't need to be negated. All you're doing is trying to safeguard your self-interest through your safe perspective. Now, I humbly acqueisce. Let me know (and some of you are no doubt our nation's cultural producers here) your THOUGHTS. Do you believe that the value of the funny is related to the values in a culture? Can they be threatened? Why is "Stella" being made now? What does it say about us? Does a category entitled "collegehumor.com" tell us something about comedic value and who might hold the funny key? Does comedy decline in the face of both hyper-individualism and hyper-consumerism? Um, etc... Comedy is in a bad state, dogs. Its broadcast doesn't determine value either, in case you get tempted by that knee-jerk response, too. Moreover, I don't have to be the funniest man-dog on the planet to make such a claim. See how I'm almost forcing you to consider thinking differently by limiting the typical (Western culture, 'Bill Maher-like') responses.
Take care.
you're welcome, to those of you salavating for another ross post.
yes, i'm sure we all agree, comedy is in a bad state. usually, i'd rather watch reruns of south park or old simpsons than waste my time on another pilot like "the winner" (brought to you by your beloved seth mcfarlane, than you very much). the simpsons has sucked for years, and family guy hasn't been consistently funny since season 3. we've basically only got one funny night on tv and that's thursday, with earl, the office, and scrubs on nbc and sarah silverman (itself overrated, but since there's not much else, it's "hilarious") on comedy central. even scrubs was stringing us along with stunt episodes half the season.
two of the most popular sitcoms on television today are "according to jim" and "george lopez," and yet you choose to single out "stella" as a sign of the decline of western civilization.
Post a Comment