Sunday, January 21, 2007

Showrunners: What they is, What they Aint, And How The WGC's Trying to Frame The Discussion

A few days ago I got an email in my email box that made me feel happy.

Not just because it had to do with the Canadian Screenwriting Awards, though that would be reason enough.

See, the Canadian Screenwriting Awards are pretty much the most awesome party of the year on the Toronto production calendar. Forget the Genies. Never Mind the Bollocks. (not actually an award, but still a mighty good album) P-shaw to the Geminis, DGC Awards, Toronto International Film Festival Galas or whatever lame what have yous. The annual writers award dustup is, hands down the place to be. Partly because the awards themselves are pretty painless. They're in and out in forty minutes. Then there's the food. It's good. Then there's the drinks. There's lots. People enjoy them. A lot. And when writers enjoy themselves, and when writers are cleaned up and start talking -- well, they're funny. Even the drama writers. I've laughed out a lung at some of these awards.

But that's not what made me happy. What made me happy was this email:

A new award will make its debut on April 23, 2007, at the Canadian Screenwriting Awards - the WGC Showrunner Award. Help us celebrate our country's best showrunners by submitting a nomination.

A showrunner is a writer/producer who holds the creative vision for a television series. He or she controls all creative decisions and oversees the series from development, through prep and production, to the completion of post. In other words, the showrunner is the creative force behind the series, and it is time for our best to step forward and be celebrated by their peers.

All nominees must be a WGC member and the recognized showrunner of a series working under a WGC writer/story editor contract.

IMPORTANT: At least one of the episodes of the showrunner’s series must have had a FIRST broadcast date between December 1, 2005, and November 30, 2006.

To nominate your showrunner, you must be a WGC member working on the nominee's series under a WGC contract. Go to http://www.wgc.ca/cscs_awards/index.html (you may have to copy and paste this link into your Internet browser) for a complete list of rules, a partial list of eligible shows and a nomination form. If a series you have worked on aired during the eligibility period and is not on the list, please call the guild and we will verify its eligibility.

The deadline for nominations is March 1, 2007.
Now, why is this award so important?

It's important because in Canada it's still semi-heretical to actually insist that a writer can be someone who holds the creative reins on a series. It used to be that the Producer class who ran Canadian shows came almost exclusively out of Line Producing. This is because deals and financing are so difficult to put together in this country that the person who sells something has a lot of power. Networks have relationships with these people, not generally with individual writers, as in the USA. They haven't always seen the difference. So the net result is that you have a lot of series pitched and developed to a point and then sold by people who are, effectively, lawyers. Or nuts and bolts producers, trained to watch the budget -- but not creative producers.

In this scenario, series are pitched, bought and sold by people who don't write. So the characters may be vague or non-existent, the concept may not be sound. Smarm sells the series, not the kickass pure quality of the idea.

Then writers are brought in. Writers are brought in, usually not for a lot of time because you want to save the money, and they have to try to make something meaningful out of the show. Then they write scripts and are paid out and sent on their merry way, and the series gets shot, edited, and delivered.

Well, you might say, what happens when you need to do production changes?

Good question. What happens is that the Producer does them. Or the Actors, or the AD's -- or maybe there's a writer there with the title of story editor or head writer who doesn't really have any power to change anything, it's just their unlucky fate to have to implement the faustian bargain that the series has become. Changes are made without a regard to story. Actors get to write their own dialogue. Directors get to change whatever they want to make a cool shot whether or not it serves the story, and because there's nobody there that really understands the story like a writer does, from the top-down, god's eye view... the changes that happen tend to throw out things like structure, and coherent story and character development for atmosphere, and cool "moments."

...or it might be, as it often is, that there are several Producers on the show who all jockey for influence and position. There is no one person who's the final word on creative questions. Instead, there's infighting between producers, each pushing their own agendas, burning money, crew, and goodwill as the show comes apart around them.

And the series turns out an incoherent, under or overcooked mess.

And then, you know what they do?

You guessed it. Usually they blame the script.

So for years, the reality is that if you were a TV writer with any ambition, you had to get the hell out of Canada. Don't take my word for it. House's David Shore is a pretty smart guy who thinks the same thing:

There is obviously a smaller market, and therefore less money and greater limitations, but I think the problems are deeper than that. I left Canada because I knew I had a lot to learn as a writer and I saw very few opportunities to do that without moving. In my opinion, Canadian television so often fails for the same reason American movies so often fail: They're not controlled by writers. Now I'm biased on this one and there are obviously great, smart directors out there and great, smart producers but no one knows the story like the writer. American movies are controlled by directors; Canadian television is controlled by producers; American television is controlled by writers.
Now that's how it used to be, and it's changing, slowly -- there are some writers who actually have fought their way into production so that they have a seat at the table and are influencing the end product, and in some cases truly fulfilling that creative vision in the same way as, say, a David E. Kelley or Stephen Bochco or David Shore or Jenji Kohan or Shonda Rimes does.

But something else has happened along the way, too. Some non-writing Producers have discovered that, you know, that Showrunner title is pretty nifty. So now they're calling themselves Showrunners.

The problem, of course, is that the "Showrunner" title doesn't mean that. It means the Writer who runs things. If you don't write, there is a perfectly nifty and nice title available to you. Or several. "Produced by" is great. So's "Executive Producer." Hell, that's a smashing title. But you know what, just like I don't get to call myself "General" if I haven't served, you don't get to call yourself "Showrunner" if you can't write.

The Simpsons, in its many years, has had many showrunners. The end "big" exec producers don't change: James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, and Sam Simon -- but they weren't the people actually running the show from day to day.

Sometimes the creator of the show is the showrunner, and sometimes they're not. Sometimes they are for a few years, then they move on and do something else, and a new showrunner takes over. (See lots of long running shows like The Simpsons, E.R., Seinfeld, Sex In The City -- all of whom wound up with different showrunners.)

The thing that defines the showrunner is not the title, it's the job. And what's the biggest part of the job? Say it with me, kids:

It's the writing, stupid.

You may be an excellent producer. You may be an awesome manager, who keeps your show humming along smoothly. You may be the greatest Executive Producer in the history of executive producers. But if you don't write, you are NOT the showrunner. And if your writing is bad, and your ideas are not great, then covering that by hiring a bunch of writers to "realize your vision" does not make you a great showrunner. It kind of makes you a fraud.

A Showrunner is a writer in the development meeting, the pitch, the story room, the casting process, the shoot, the edit, the sound mix, and the press for the show. They are a writer first, last, and always.

It's a damned hard job. Because you have to learn about budgets and costs and you have to motivate and manage a small army of people, and supervise this and deal with the network and answer everybody's questions, and somehow you have to do all this and take all this pressure and not turn into a raging asshole, because that's going to hurt the unity of the production going forward.

It requires a number of skill sets that don't normally go together. So when you find a person who can do all that, they're special, and they're golden. I'm working for an honest to Betsy showrunner right now, and let me tell you, the hours are long like they always are in TV, but the creativity is front and centre and it's a little piece o'heaven.

So fie upon any charlatan who pretends to that throne without having the chops. You're wearing colors that don't belong to you -- and you're making it harder to identify the very types of people who will help us to make our programs better, and relevant, and popular.

So, back to what the WGC has done. By establishing this award, they are going to shine a light on these special people, these showrunners who actually can do it all. And it's not going to be a case of B.S. and credit stealing because whoever's nominated for the award has to be nominated by writers who work for them.

Simple. Elegant. Brilliant. Way to go, WGC. Bravo.

My money's on Haddock.

(*I'm adding a caveat here... there *are*, of course, other ways to mount a successful show. I would venture that Slings & Arrows is an example of a top quality show where the writing and conception, direction, and production all form a cohesive whole, and works, but were in the hands of different people, ie: there wasn't one person overseeing all of it. This takes nothing away from the producers of Slings & Arrows. Obviously, they're brilliant. Look at the show. But though development may have been a little bumpier at times, it wasn't dishonest. Everyone was allowed to function by bringing their full expertise to bear, and it worked out. When something is GOOD, there is ALWAYS enough credit to go around.)


*****

UPDATE: March 2010.  So I saw some traffic to this old post and thought I should update a bit of what I think, based on three more hard won years.


First -- the WGC finally came up with a list of competencies called the Showrunner code.  It describes what the basic functions of a showrunner are in a classic, U.S. based system.


FWIW, I think now that as it's currently run and constituted, the (weak) Canadian system requires a partnership kind of hybrid to have the best chance of functioning. And that's because of the lack of Canadian Studios.


Producers here are on the hook in a way that individuals aren't down south, and there's no level of studio in between (I know in the vertically integrated model a separate network/producer isn't the norm in the USA a lot either, but for the purposes of the discussion, that's the best way to explain it.


What's happened up til now is a lot of crappy shows have resulted from unfocused creative choices made by Producers who don't understand and can't internalize the creative because they don't understand it like a writer does. This is why writer producers in the USA became the norm.


Without studios, what's the future? What's the possibilty? Well, I think it's either got to be Writer-Producers or Partnerships where the two are equal, and trust and respect each other.  But one way or another, the "keep the writer in the dark and treat them like the hired help days?" Gone.

22 comments:

Diane Kristine Wild said...

This is tangential to your point, but I've heard that in the US, because TV productions are getting so complex financially and creatively, the showrunner position is even more difficult than it used to be, and with the proliferation of channels and therefore shows, the pool of experienced people is getting pretty thin. And it was difficult to begin with to do well because it's a mix of seemingly incompatible qualities.

To use my inevitable example, Katie Jacobs of House is the co-showrunner along with David Shore, and she's not a writer, she's strictly a producer. Shore and other writers have made positive comments about her input into some creative decisions, but my impression is that she focuses mostly on the business/ post-production while the overall creative vision and other producing duties are Shore's.

That kind of arrangement seems to make sense to me as an outsider, to divide the responsibilities, with the writer the primary keeper of the vision. I wonder how reasonable it is that the same person would be able to oversee everything on a big production well, and how many great writers there can be who are also great business people and managers of people. I don't mean to suggest it's impossible or even any more rare than in any other industry, but it seems like a system that creates a huge potential to fulfill the Peter Principle and promote people who are great at what they do – writing - to their point of incompetence.

Alex Epstein said...

I don't have the same objects you have to using the term showrunner for someone who doesn't write. To my mind the showrunner is the person who runs the show. I've been on a couple shows where the person with creative authority wasn't a writer. It's useful to be able to say that they're the showrunner. (And had this been made clear up front on one show in particular, it would have saved everyone a great deal of friction.)

Obviously I'd prefer being on a show where the showrunner is a writer, especially if that writer happens to be moi. But wanting the showrunner to be a writer is not the same as saying that a show where he's not a writer doesn't have a showrunner.

DMc said...

But Alex, in the cases you're talking about, be honest: isn't this exactly what caused the confusion?

The first rule of anything in this business is that the first thing you have to do is figure out who the person who has the power is.

"Showrunner" is a U.S. term. It was not used in Canada -- at all -- until very recently. To use a term that means "writer and person with whom the creative buck stops" is to describe someone who doesn't fit that criteria is to obsfucate. It's like all directors being able to adapt the posessory credit. What starts as something earned and deserved, devolves to a baseline stroke of people like fucking Brett Ratner.

If you take away the lever of writing from that term It leads to confusion. It allows for people who don't have a creative vision to pretend that they do, and that exacerbates the mediocrity that results in so many bad shows in this country.

Diane's point, and the point that I was making at the end about Slings & Arrows, is that there's another way to do it, and that's fine. But the compact is known: one person has the final say over writing stuff, but another person handles the business and getting it made end. That is symbiotic, and if you can't find one person to wear both hats and both people know that's the deal going in, it's a fine solution.

I think most shows more or less have this kind of relationship even if it's not formalized. Marti Noxon played that role for Whedon on Buffy, David Eick plays that role for Ronald Moore on Galactica...

What doesn't happen, though, is that the person who doesn't write gets to overrule the person who does because they have more power.

When the person on the show that has "creative authority" isn't a writer, they aslo often don't have the confidence or understanding to hold out for, and identify the creative or story points that are actually key. In that case, what's the point of calling someone "showrunner" if they can't protect the integrity of the material from the whims of actors, directors, or anyone else who wants to futz with it? The reason why the writer/showrunner model works is because they will always understand the story better than anyone else, so they can be stubborn about what they need to be stubborn about, and make changes on the fly that need to be made without ham-fistedly screwing up the story.

I completely reject your viewpoint here. If you don't write, you are not a showrunner. You are an Executive Producer.

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

D:

I know you care passionately about a lot of this stuff but I don't think all of what you're saying is right here. I've been a showrunner in the American sense of the word since about '93. No "line producer" has ever overruled me in maters creative and I have had partnerships with producers/directors who were essentially co-showrunners with me but in all these cases (unless some real ugly financial fuckup occurred) I had the final say in what went down.

And I know, for sure, that I was not alone in my experience. Other writers I've come up with have had the same degree, for good or ill, of autonomy that i was granted/earned whatever.

But what really bugs me the most here is please dear God, not another fucking award. We work in an industry that pays us good money to make up shit for a living. In Canada we get paid good money to make up shit that very few people want to listen to for a living.

Why can't that be enough. There's already two venues for writers to get shiny little plaques and certificates, isn't that enough.

I think the only places that hand out more trophies than the entertainment industy are special ed classes.

Given the lack of interest in the CRTC hearings, the ACTRA strike, most Canadian shows etc I don't know what this is going to do to increase any kind of public profile or respect. On the contrary it just looks like another exercise in self indulgence as we once again embarrass ourselves by giving out shiney little statues for doing nothing more than our jobs.

ME said...

I think you can be the protector of the creative vision and integrity of a show without being its creator or writer, and I tend to agree with Alex and Blueglow on this one.

DMc said...

Absolutely you can.

I have a friend who worked for Lynda LaPlante (Prime Suspect) for a couple of years. She doesn't really write totally, but she is the force behind it and she works with story editors who help her come up with stories, and then other writers write drafts.

So long as everyone knows the drill, that's great and that can work.

Before Hollywood became Director driven, it was a Producers medium. Hall B. Wallis has way more to do with what became Casablanca than Michael Curtiz, whose English wasn't even that good at the time...

It's just that the terms and the frame of reference were agreed upon.

Alex referenced work situations where there were clashes of authority because the lines of authority and responsibility and creativity were not well established.

The "Showrunner" title refers to the U.S. system where a senior writer holds the vision and makes the call. That is a Showrunner system.

If you're not working that way -- take one of the other titles that are granted you.

BUT...

As we are never far from on this blog, we are talking about why Canadian TV generally is bad -- and how it can be better.

The way we've done it doesn't work.

Producers who don't have ANY creative vision selling half baked series that go to air and don't work from the word go, but have 13 eps in the can anyway? That don't work.

And muddying the waters by wanting to take on the mantle of the title in another system that DOES work -- the U.S. showrunner system -- is not a solution.

Writers need to reclaim this word, and be fundamentalist on this issue.

but blueglow's right about one thing...

too many awards.

however, the thing I always liked about the Canadian screenwriing awards is that it's based on the script - -and the writer gets to choose which draft they submit.

ME said...

Sounds like the Canadian Screenwriter awards are fun, haven't been ... anything that doesn't take place in the John Bassett Theatre/Convention Centre can't be all bad.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate (me, no!). Here's my question. While I like the idea the writer can choose the draft submitted (in principle, at least), isn't it kind of false praise if the draft you loved the best isn't the one that ultimately got made and in fact is significantly different? Would it more relevant and fair to judge the work that actually made it to the screen? Or is that just heresy?

And for the record, I am not above whoring myself out on a crap series with no creative vision for a guaranteed pick-up. It's not ideal and I'm not looking to wallow in mediocrity, but in practical terms, I'd like a new kitchen in 2007.

wcdixon said...

A few things...

Terminology or definition: Showrunner is definitely a U.S. term, and is more or less defined as Denis states. Canadian tv for yeeaaarrs has made me nuts with producers who arbitrarily make up credits (creative story editor was one I heard) - most often in ignorance of the U.S. standard or template, or fear wanting to give anyone writing or creative any type of credit with the word 'producer' in it. Again, most times out of inexperience or ignorance. It's made me nuts negotiating for a supervising producer or creative producer or co-executive producer credit(mostly to be reflective of the job responsibilities (in U.S. terms) or so you could at least take your credits to a U.S. series and be taken seriously), and get told 'but you're not a producer...we'll give you senior writer'. And you'd show them how other shows credit their creatives (hell, director Jon Cassar is an exec producer on '24' now) and get told '...that's not how we do things here.'

These same producers or exec producers are happy to give themselves a 'showrunner' credit...even though most either just put together the deal or produce the day to day and don't ever lay pen to paper.

That said, have to agree with Caro, Alex, and blueglow in that the runner of a show can be a creative producer of sorts and doesn't have to be the the 'last pass runs through his/her computer' writer...have played that former role several times working closely with a 'head writer' to some success.

Lastly, who's on that list (in the way you or the WGC defines it)besides Haddock? James Hurst (Degrassi)? David Storey (Corner Gas)? Falcon Beach had a staff turnover this season so not sure if they're eligible...

Any from this list from Whistler?

Patrick Banister .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
John Barbisan .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Tony Blake .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Russ Cochrane .... co-producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Sam Feldman .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Noreen Halpern .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Mindy Heslin .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Paul Jackson .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Susan James .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Dawn Knight .... post producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Nicholas Lea .... associate producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Ian McDougall .... supervising producer (9 episodes, 2006)
John Morayniss .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Jane Muckle .... associate producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Danny Virtue .... executive producer (9 episodes, 2006)
Janet York .... executive producer / producer (8 episodes, 2006)
Kelly Senecal .... executive producer (7 episodes, 2006)
Sherry Lynn King .... line producer (4 episodes, 2006)
Janet York .... executive producer / producer (2 episodes, 2006)
Alison Lea Bingeman .... co-producer (unknown episodes)


Wait a sec, didn't 'Rumours' give the credit of showrunner to someone? There's your winner.

Oh and there's too many awards...

Sorry - getting snarky...

DMc said...

But see Dix, that's the point.
I'm taking the first part of what you said here, and throwing out the second.

Cause that's just how I roll.

The magic bullet?

YOUR WRITING STAFF NOMINATES YOU FOR THIS AWARD.

YOU CAN'T PUT YOURSELF INTO CONTENTION.

THE NETWORK CAN'T DO IT.

That's why it's genius.

Because it WILL HELP IDENTIFY, and CELEBRATE, the canadian showrunners who are ACTUALLY showrunners!

Anonymous said...

Hey Canadians, when is Slings & Arrows Season 3 coming to DVD?

A thousand apologies for breaking from the topic, but Google has failed me. And if I don't get it soon, I will resort to the torrent.

Oh, as for the showrunner question, it shouldn't matter if the person writes. At least not as far as these awards are concerned. I mean, sure, a "Showrunner" should be the head writer, but so many awards and accolades are given to the wrong people for the wrong reason. Why stop here? The only people the distinction might matter to in the writing room. And this will be the lesser of many snubs they will endure in their career.

DMc said...

Tom,

Slings and Arrows 3 will be airing in the USA next month (February) on the Sundance Channel, which very few people have on their cable systems.

My guess would be that the DVD would come out pretty soon after that, though Amazon has nothing yet either. I would surmise probably March or April is likely.

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

So what writing staff in the world is not gonna nominate their boss just out of simple self preservation -- say I'm running a show and I don't get nominated -- who'm i gonna be casting askance glances at?

who do you think? i'm guessing the weasels who I hired who didn't vote for me. I'm figuring they're in for a world of hurt if they don't throw my name into the ring.

and if you're chris and you've written every episode of the show, what do you do?

nominate yourself?

that's the humiliating part of the whole writer's guild awards already -- you can nominate yourself -- and I think, until recently, you could nominate yourself three times. and it only costs sixty bucks.

and if you are really pathetic you go talk to one of your buds and say something like -- hey you nominate this script of mine and i'll nominate whatever script of yours you liked the best.

that way we didn't nominate ourselves.

and somehow this has validity? and somehow this is good?

And somehow, if we decide that if we give a "showrunner award" maybe the writer gets to carry aroung the bogus honour of being the "auteur" instead of the director. and this is bogus because we all know that this medium is hugely collaborative and any single person who tries to take credit for the work of a hundred people deserves not praise but scorn.

you know, the way i look at it if you like your boss, buy him/her a coffee mug, trip to the spa, lap dance whatever. but nominate him or her for an award, shit I think I'd be happier with a little plaque that said "one hundred accident free days"...

let's not denigrate our industry any further. we already have three fucking nites for the gemini awards and ten awards for writing during the writers guild shindig.

i mean come on... i'm completely on your side about canuck tv needing to be better... but if you think that giving up some kinda bullshit award is a way to keep writers in the game here or is gonna make networks elevate us you're kidding yourself and so is the writers guild.

networks know who knows who can run shows here, that's not an issue. what they can't do (the creative types inside the network) is pull the trigger on a deal because there is no real money to be made on Canadian TV.

I've known lots of producers who have made shows happen here that we as writers never could because it is all about the deal.

Even a domestic audience of a million people does not put a canuck show in a profit position nor does it make it particularly attractive to canuck advertisers -- it's ok but it's not great.

and again, I'll reiterate. just because david shore didn't get a show in canada after traders does not mean canadian tv does not respect talent -- maybe his first few pitches sucked -- it means that we are working in a market that can not and will never be able to take a flyer on a whole bunch of shows -- his didn't make the cut.

he went to the US. he became famous and rich. good for him. it is an option open to all of us. hart did it and now he's rich and happy, at least he sounds that way (as is STAY in CANADA showrunner Brad Wright (another nice guy).

chris tried it and decided (i'm assuming I don't know the guy) that the creative freedom he had here to do what he was really interested in was worth more -- you know as well as I that intelligence woulda been cancelled by the second commercial break on CBS.

i very much doubt that he needs, or would want, to be the proud recipient of "canadian showrunner of the year".

i'm sorry, i understand that writers here never get their "props" but having a bunch of writers give them an award isn't gonna do it either.

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

don't mean to sound too strident here so i'm sorry if any take offense but I'm in a hotel room thousands of miles from home rolling around like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now as I get ready to face ....

evil.

but anyway -- i just think it needs to be said that sorkin et al do something that very few folks in Canada do -- makes the masters money. and in a commercial enterprise like TV that's all that matters.

If producers in Canuckistan are getting more credit than they deserve it is because they are allowing broadcasters to fulfull their government mandated obligations for as little up front money as possible.

once writers in canada can make a show that starts bringing in meaningful coin the powers that be will be more than happy to put shiny epelets on our jackets.

Mef said...

14 comments and counting. Yeah here we go...

Hard not to agree with Blueglow about awards but at least they don't televise the WG awards. And when I go I usually have fun meeting other writers. I met Denis last year, and Alex the year before. (Personally I don't know why the Geminis are televised. The 200,000 who watch it get to see producers complain about how the show they just won for got cancelled. That's compelling tv. Maybe they should be rebranded as Reality programming.)

(Okay this is bad, two parenthetical comments in a row: I argue all the time on 22 that we shouldn't submit for the Geminis anymore. Not that we've been treated badly by the academy or out of a fit of pique but because the show has won about 32 of them or something. But too many people on the show want to win a (or another) Gemini even though everyone says how they're all above it. And the CBC wants us to because we always get nominated and even win the odd one once in a while. So we fill out the forms, fly out to Toronto or Vancouver and spend a bunch of money that doesn't go onscreen. But for holding that position I'm considered to be not supportive of the industry.)


All that said, I fall on the Denis side of the argument of who should be called a showrunner.

And Caroline to answer your advocacy for the devil: since it's the wg, the guild (rightly I think) is giving writers a chance to submit the script they liked and thought was good and not the one brutalized by a non-writing showrunner (or even heaven forbid, a writing showrunner) So I think that's ok.

I await blueglow's wrath.

DMc said...

I just have to say that I love this exchange.

I also dig the image of blueglow in front of the mirror in the hotel room listening to the Doors, watching the Fan go round and round and round...

"Canadian Television....I can't believe I'm back in Canadian Television..."

someguy said...

Hey wcdixon

David Storey actually doesn't showrun Corner Gas, he's an EP and he directs about half the episodes but he's non-writing. I dunno, maybe the fact that it's hard for even people in the industry to know who's doing this kind of stuff is an argument in favour of the award?

wcdixon said...

Yeah...I know what Story does on Corner Gas - but I've heard differing stories about who's the 'showrunner' there. Sometimes its him, sometimes its Brent, maybe its Mark (mef?)? Yes, it's collaborative and maybe the buck doesn't stop at one desk on a lot of shows, so clarification could be a good thing (until everyone else challenges it..."I'm the showrunner! No, I'm the showrunner!"...)

Blueglow (and Hart) say it like it is...it's about ratings and making the nets money. Hard to work that into the equation in Canada.

Mef said...

hey will:
I was the showrunner in year one. I ran and rewrote the scripts (along with my story editors and Brent) and dealt with the directors and did the comedy cut. The only person who could overrule me creatively in the first season were Brent or the network (the one time Brent over ruled me in year one that I remember: in a fantasy sequence Brent and Lacey are eating a hot dog from either end, we leave the fantasy but Brent the character wants to go back and when we return Brent is alone without Lacey and in my version has about half the hot dog left and in Brent Butt's version is finishing the last bite. We went Brent's way.

In year 2, paul mather and I shared the job or at least the credit(supervising producer) with Paul doing the lionshare of the work on site.

In year 3 and 4 Paul Mather was and is the showrunner (and a really good one) i was more of a consulting producer, (as always Brent Butt has final say on all matters creative)

David Storey has made a huge contibution to the success of Corner Gas but I wouldn't call him the showrunner. He's directed a lot of the episodes (about half) and has put out his fair share of fires and is a huge asset but Paul is the showrunner or the closest thing the show has to it.

As DMC said when a show works there is a lot of credit to go around.

Of course the above is only my take.

hope this helps

Mark (p.s. my story editors in year one were Paul and Kevin White, and Brent would do a pass at every script but ususally more a punch-up fix joke pass)

wcdixon said...

That's all good to know mef...and makes sense. I just know I met with Storey about directing for it and was told he had last word (whatever that means) on that front. That said, I knew he wasn't the writing showrunner, and for some reason knew Brent had a ton of say but wasn't either.

Mef said...

that's right, I should have mentioned as well that David is the"Supervising Director" if that credit were given out on the show and really works with the directors in terms of the look of CG and making sure that is maintained. And as I mentioned in my earlier comment David has helped put out some major fires

So there is some overlap for sure.

M

Frank "Dolly" Dillon said...

please don't imagine that. my version of hell would include a Doors soundtrack and people talking about the poetry of baseball.