Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You Can Make It If You Try

THE HBO SERIES "How To Make it In America" which I wrote about here, now has its first episode up for preview on the HBO Canada website.  (The Link in the Blog goes to the Canadian site; I presume if you're in the USA you can go to the main HBO site and see the preview there.)

Enjoy.

8 comments:

Brandon Laraby said...

Just watched it.

Damn...

That was a really good pilot.

Thanks for sharing Denis, I'll pass it around.

Unknown said...

You were right. Better than the script I read.

DMc said...

Right? It's just funny because it's just so much more common for it to go the other way. This is an anecdote from a much earlier time -- but I remember reading years ago that for years, "My Stepmother Is An Alien" was considered one of the best unmade scripts in Hollywood. Heh heh.

Allen said...

God, I tried re-watching it yesterday on HBO on demand and I just couldn't get through more than five minutes. I now remember what I didn't like about the script and show -- it's contrived and unrealistic.
Denis, I know in your previous post you mention how “there isn't a false note anywhere in the show”, but I just don’t see it. Sure, it would be refreshing to see a show actually capture the American dream/plight, but I don't think this captures it all. It feels caricature-ish. People definitely have to hustle now more than ever -- by ever I mean this isn’t 1999 -- but the way they're hustling on this show just doesn't seem genuine to me. Going to the docks? Come on.
This show is just as realistic as Entourage.

DMc said...

That's pretty funny, actually. B/C I've got several relatives who live in NY still, and a few friends who've moved down -- and the stories I've heard and parties I've been to, well --

Maybe I know more Hustlers?

But what's funnier is ... I once had to go down to my friend to the docks because he heard there was a cheap deal on DVD players that had come in. So, uh...yeah. I guess, to me, there was a bit of resonance.

I've never hung out with Mark Wahlberg or Ari Emmanuel, so I demur on the subject of Entourage.

Diff Strokes.

Allen said...

was this recently? im hard pressed to believe many people still go to the docks to get deals. but hey, maybe i'm wrong.

I will give episode two a chance though.

Clint Johnson said...

Funny how a show will resonate for different people.

I really didn't like the show. The characters were pretty much uniformly people I would not want to spend time with.

The show seem to hold anyone who has succeeded in contempt... and the lead and his sidekick want nothing more than to be exactly like them? It seems that the only ones they hold in more contempt is the schlubs who get a regular job and work the nine to five.

Hell, they didn't even leave it in the subtext, they dragged it kicking and screaming into the dialogue and put a spot light on it with "Stick it to the man- until we are the man."

The only reason these characters didn't help Bernnie Madoff with his scheme or shuffle subprime loans around until they could get a bailout- is because they weren't smart enough or connected enough to get asked in on it.

On a functional level, the pilot did its job well. We got introduced to the world and the characters with a deft hand.

I just don't want to spend time with these characters or their world.

Brandon Laraby said...

Hrmmm... weird... I grew up with people like this.

Only a lot less ethnic... and Canadian.

Gawd, I roomed with 2 DJs for a year. (Back in '03/'04ish) and the people I met, that hung around them... exactly like this.

That said, on a side note here, it's definitely an experience walking through your front door to discover 20 or so kids in the middle of a 'mashy' party -- everyone conked out on the floor, coming down from a mix of E, Special K and/or MDMA.

Yeah...

I've never been to New York, but I know people like these characters.