Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Creatively Dead Network Exec Brief: thirtysomething

I MADE IT through about eight minutes of the premiere of the new Melrose Place last night before shaking it off. Somewhere between the Seth Cohen-wannabe and Sydney in the pool I realized that the most important part of the TV guilty pleasure was the pleasure part. They don't call it "Guilty TV dreary."

So instead I dipped into a great series that I didn't watch enough during its two year run, Life. Both seasons are now available on DVD. Go, mourn at what you missed. (And yes, smuggington who watched it, save the, "I watched it!" comment. It's really no better than typing "First!")

But the bad taste of MP got me thinking about those thirtysomething DVD's I was watching last weekend. Too much hairspray. Too many skinny ties -- and did we really think power suspenders were a good idea? I mean ... really?

It's the quintessential boomer navel-gazing show -- pilloried and praised; absolutely influential to all that followed. Celebrator of character, freer from the shackles of genre --

So, then.

Say you're a mid level exec. The blood is just dry on the contract. Satan's packing up the suitcase of blow and getting out of your office, and you now have the power to do what you've always wanted to do:

Re-imagine thirtysomething.

All of it's up for grabs. Cameos by the old cast? Remake? Re-invention? What are the new issues? What do they all do? Is there a Miles Drentell? What is the what?

Have at it in the comments.

5 comments:

Alex Epstein said...

Yah, it's a half hour comic drama spec pilot I've been pitching around town, called HAPPILY EVER AFTER. Wanna read it, D?

DMc said...

And lose the brand equity in the name? Oh Epstein, Epstein, Epstein. #FAIL.

Next?

Unknown said...

First thing is we retitle it. 'Eighteen to Thirtyfoursomething.'

DMc said...

M, you maroon! I just paid all that money for the title! GET OUT OF MY OFFICE NOW!

Is there NOBDOY at this NETWORK WITH ANY ORIGINAL RETREAD IDEAS?

jimhenshaw said...

Okay...

So you keep "Thirty Something" only you re-brand it as in "Thirty years later" -- maybe with a logo like -30- that thing journalists write at the end of a story to let people know it's over.

Same Cast. Same Characters. You bought all that with the title, right?

Only now our 80's yuppies have lost their money to Madoff. Bush killed a most of those cute kids they were raising in Afghanistan and Iraq. or they died in the towers.

They're not sure if they've got health care. Even if they could afford a condo in Florida they can't do that becaue it's bad for the environment.

So what're they gonna do now?

It's like "Lost" only urban.