Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What A Fool Believes

FIRST OFF, AS far as I know, CTV is not buying Global, and there is no imminent rise of CTV Canglobemedia in the offing.

But this morning's little April Fool's debacle, meted out in little controlled bursts, offers, I think, a few teachable moments in relation to screenwriting.

First, though, a personal observation. I remember when I first hit school after we moved to Canada, when April Fool's Day came up, I was bewildered by the insistence that the whole thing was supposed to end at noon. Teachers would be adamant about the fact...something that if you played a joke after noon, then you were the fool, bub.

I've spent a little over twenty years now thinking that's bullshit. Something the teachers made up to snap the lid back on the chaos and get control of their classrooms.

So this morning I'm trying to decide when to pull the pin on the whole thing -- and I do a little research. And what do you know? Apparently, in certain nations such as the UK and Canada, the tradition is indeed that the jokes end at noon. Why was I so skeptical of the fact? Because in OTHER nations, such as the USA and Ireland, you're fair game for the whole day. So how's about that?

Now...what we can learn from the April Fool's Joke and apply to the Craft of Screenwriting?

  • Basic plausibility allows you to slip in the ridiculous; just like a spoonful of sugar making the medicine go down.

    The idea of Naked News replacing a National Newscast is pretty out there. But with the chaos and sturm and drang going down right now in Canadian media, the idea that Canwest and CTV might merge doesn't seem that far out of whack. It's a testimony to how ridiculous our media situation has become. You know, I type this right now and for all I know, hell, there could actually be talks going on. Would it really surprise you?

    The X Files got five good years (and another 3 besides) out of this kind of thing.

  • Let the rope out slowly.

    Weaving a tale, laying a trap -- requires patience. Laying those cards down early is key. I actually paved the way for my post this morning with another post that seemed totally plausible. So plausible that more than a few people who cottoned onto the joke of the CTV Global merger still speculated as to what the "real" announcement at 5:30 would be.

  • Details, details, details.

    The little things are always what sell it. BSG worked because it seemed to get some basic military stuff right. The terms, the actions, the jargon "felt" right. Similarly, E.R. raised the bar forever as to what you needed to know to sell a medical show. If you go back now and watch a medical show from the 70's, it's laughable. You understand everything the Doctors are saying. When's the last time that happened in real life? So I mixed in reality about the Minister making his visit to Flashpoint, the lobbying that's been done over the last little while, and mixed in references to stages being erected and traffic being snarled, and real-life details like people who actually want to buy some local stations and return them to the community. Drilling down to the detail makes your fiction sing.

  • There's always a spoiler.

    This is useful mostly when it comes to notes. A lot of new writers I know are so in love with their material that they're completely unprepared to accept any criticism. It's one of the reasons I don't read new scripts anymore unless I'm being paid to do it. But just as damaging are the outliers who'll take your stuff in a direction that it shouldn't go because they won't play the game. If you have a reader who has no concept of willing suspension of disbelief, then you're going to get notes that want you to explain everything. Including terribly unimportant things.

    In this case, I had to hold back several comments from people who wanted to immediately spoil the joke. Part of this is the culture of the 'Net...all the commenters who want to be !First! to say something. It makes me a little sad on the April Fools' tip. I remember childhood, pre-internet, when part of the fun was really not being sure for a long time -- maybe even a whole day -- whether what you heard was a joke or not. For all we've gained in our speeded up world, I think we've lost something there.

  • Reward your audience.

    In the end, I decided to add the joke about the immediate reduction in CanCon request because, well, we all need a bit of gallows funny, right? In the end you need to give the audience the release they crave -- an ending that makes sense, a payoff of some sort. I hope my silly little joke did that for you.

    Of course, as my friend Mattypants put it, I could be here a year from now talking about CTVCanCorus AstralRogersGoogle GlobeEastWesNorthSouthMedia.

    Although if that's the case, I'll probably be sleeping on someone's cot down in Silver Lake. Maybe Encino.
Thanks to Jim and Dix for playing with me....Have a good day!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't fooled by your earlier story, but I did enjoy the possible scenario.

Just wait and see: the joke might be on you yet when CTV and Global announce a merger over the coming weeks or months ...

dylan reibling said...

As a white male in the much-coveted 18-35 age bracket, let me just say that I mourn the loss of Global Dude.

DMc said...

Werner, I conceded as much above. When it comes to Canadian media, I'm afraid nothing would surprise me anymore.

BlaineW. said...

You're a nut DMC.

Jill Golick said...

If you played a prank after 12 noon, my mother used to always say "April Fools is gone and passed and you're the biggest fool at last."
I never believed her because if she had ketchup in her hair, it was clear to me that she was the fool, not me.

Brent McKee said...

I bow in the presence of a master.

Still, didn't CITY-TV show The Naked News on their station for a time years ago. Is it that absurd an idea?

Ouimet said...

Also, one more tip for the craft of screen writing:

It should be funny.

DMc said...

Yes, Salieri... That's very true.

Unknown said...

I was exceptionally suspicious of your last story from the start (just because: April 1st). But what completely gave it away for me: you had too much info about the merger - and you weren't nearly angry enough about the whole thing. If it had been a real merger, then you would have only known the real basics about it (or you would have only been able to release the basics, so as to protect your friends at the companies) . . . and you would have given three pages of reasons why it was a terrible idea.

Which is to elaborate on what storytelling principles you found connected to your trick: the details matter, but whose mouths the details come from, and how that person would present those details, matters even more.

DMc said...

Well, Rich, you're just the smartest pea in the pod! :)

Actually, those are some very good points, and it raises another of my own.

Are you writing to, or away from the expectations of your audience?

There's advantages in both circumstances. When you write to what your audience expects, you can lull them and punch them in another way.

The best example I can come up with off the top of my head is an episode of thirtysomething. Elliot's wife Nancy had been treated for Cancer for awhile, and was in the hospital for tests. You were totally prepped by the tone and by every little touch, to expect that the news was bad and she was going to die.

She got good news -- she would be okay. Everyone was happy and gathered and then Michael checked his messages, and out of nowhere, another character had been killed in a bike crash. Boom.

There are many ways to give someone a feeling that they were expecting, but not in the way they were expecting it. Using your audience's expectations to smooth your story along can be quite effective.

If you write away from the expectation, of course, that's something else. It gets harder and harder to do that each year, as "twists" become harder to conceive. That's why hybrid shows are so popular now -- mixing and matching different genres provides novelty and at least a small bulwark against the fact that every year there's another 1000 or 2000 hours of narrative TV.

Sometimes, you can use the audience's expectation of who should have those details against them. Or even their own cleverness against them...

Mef in a comment above came up with one example. The American Life on Mars listed Lisa Bonet as a guest star, because she was the girlfriend in 2008 and everyone expected him to go back to her. It used your cleverness against you.

(that's kind of what happened with the people who didn't buy the hoax I pulled, but who still thought James Moore was set to make an announcement later in the day.)

Another good example of this was a first season Sopranos ep where Christopher was shot. The episode was shorter than normal -- it used the fact that you were used to the rhythm of hour TV to shoot Chris at a point where you really didn't expect it, and then end the episode right away. It was truly jarring.