Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Arts as an Election Issue

REMEMBER C10? BACK in those old days, I started out arguing that the best argument to make was NOT the censorship one, since that played right into the base -- but to attack the very real and legitimate argument about the crushing reality that uncertain funding or financing would bring to the sector. Even I fell down on constantly hammering that argument home. That's the thing about wedge issues. They're designed to overload your reason circuits.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the Conservative Party of Canada is going to win the Canadian Federal Election. Barring some game-changing, incredible clearing of the decks. And the Liberal Party platform, announced yesterday (Yesterday? Really?) probably isn't it.

So again, as I sit in my WGC Council Meeting, and talk to other people (in and among the grinding out of script pages, which is another story. My condo for an uninterrupted 23 hour writing day, and, uh, 12 cc's of adrenaline, I guess) there seems to be a concerted effort toward the practical matter of: how do you talk to these people? Because they do not understand your issues.

As a friend put it recently, "they look at all of you as bought and paid for ten times over by the Liberals anyway."

I tend to think, again, the economic arguments about industry and job creation are going to fly better with this crowd than any notion of culture as society-builder. They simply don't think that way. They don't care.

In Today's Globe & Mail (which, for all I tend to criticize the press these days, really has been all over this culture issue -- they deserve praise for that) Jean-Daniel Lafond, the husband of Canada's Governor General, is profiled by Michael Posner. And besides a bon mot about culture to make us all feel good: "Culture is oxygen," he says some of the smartest things I've seen about culture in the current campaign:

Fundamentally, he said in a recent interview, "it's a problem of education," and the fact that the Conservative government could slash funding for a variety of arts programs and organizations and do it without a large-scale reaction indicates just how much education is needed.

"We need to sensitize people to the importance of the arts. Don't forget, culture is oxygen. We have to protect it and [spending on it] is not wasting money. But it's a dead end to make a confrontation between artists and politicians. The only possible end is demagoguery."

Until the population understands the vital importance of the arts, not just its economic power but its cultural force, "it's very safe for a politician to destroy culture. We have to go further with education. Culture is not elitist. For me, it's an essential part of life. Otherwise, it's dead. But as it is, for more than half the population, culture is not a necessity. We have to go further ... The debate is not just for election campaigns. It's bigger than that. So maybe this is a good crisis. I think it's dangerous to tie the culture only to nationalism. ... Culture is coast to coast. Diversity is easy to talk about, but our country is made with that and if we want solidarity, we have to recognize real diversity, not just to save Quebec or Alberta."


Part of the problem is the very notion of "culture" as "special." Because to the swath of people who are likely to decide this election, it's not. They simply don't care. Yes, if you're an activated, pro-culture voter, you may know why that is ultimately short-sighted, self-defeating, even -- dare I say it -- un-Canadian -- but that case has not been effectively made, which is kind of why we're in this fix. And the problem is that the less culture matter the more provincial Canada becomes and the more the close-minded appeal of the Tory message will resonate. The only possible end is demagoguery.

Right now, the Conservatives' chance is based upon the fact that the left is split and the right is united. But that doesn't have to remain so forever. A few more cycles with these guys in charge and the oxygen sucked out of anything cultural (perhaps to be put to Sports -- and let's not kid ourselves, a dynamic that pits amateur sport funding versus the Arts would be like Christmas and Baal rolled into one for these guys) and that socially progressive Canada that most of us treasure will look as quaint as crackly old Newsreel footage.

There is nothing, after all, Progressive about these Conservatives.

But if they're driving, you have to talk to them.

So the attacks that are shrill and hysterical have to go. Yes, check things like the WGC's Election Page, and try to figure out if you're in a riding where your vote really could make a difference. And ask questions of your candidates and go to all candidates' meetings. But after that, spend some time thinking about the future, and how you're going to build a bridge to two audiences -- 1) Canadians. And 2) Conservatives.

Jill Golick discovered an interesting new front when a canvasser came to her door. She wrote about it on Weinman's Macleans site:

The NDP canvasser at my door the other night was a biologist and breast cancer researcher. He says the Harper government treats his industry in exactly the same way; decimating it with a thousand small cuts.

The sciences and arts aren’t the only ones being slowly strangled by Harper’s cuts. Perhaps the arts community would be more effective telling those stories than our own.

Harper is at war with the civil service, and cutting lots of industries that don't immediately resonate in his orbit. Finding those people, building bridges to those issues might offer another way.

Because trust me when I say this: they love it when we talk about how special we are and how important we are. They want more of that. It makes us deliciously easy to ignore.

The Alberta-bound Conservative mindset is a pure distillation of quid pro quo politics. "What does supporting your issue get me?"

In the end, we're going to need to figure out the answer to that question. We ignore it at our peril.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right - if they're in power then anyone in the arts needs to find a way to demonstrate how economically advantageous that funding is to the industry.

However, they're not necessarily going to be in power. The NDP and the Liberals may form a coalition government if the Conservatives would otherwise hold a minority. I think it comes down to whether Layton feels he's going to ever become PM, and what he might do strategically now in the hopes of leveraging his chances to become PM later.

jimhenshaw said...

"...they love it when we talk about how special we are and how important we are. They want more of that. It makes us deliciously easy to ignore."

Absolutely bang-on, DMc!

This election reflects a tide turning on the perceived wisdom of the elites be they in Government, on Wall Street or from show business.

The Conservatives need to see that we're hard working people with most of the same life goals they have and understand how much so many in their own base benefit from our having a healthy industry.

This morning, Jack Layton announced a whole list of good ideas for supporting the arts -- and this...



...is the spin it's getting on one conservative blog.

For too long, we've insisted we deserved special treatment without delivering anything "they" could feel proud of.

The loathing directed at our athletes during the first two weeks of the recent Olympics is what we get every day because "they" helped us and we didn't bring home anything they could be proud of -- or maybe even feel connected to.

Most of "us" know that's because of a broken broadcast and film funding system. But "they" don't.

I firmly believe the real artists in this country will survive what's coming. But the fake ones and their enablers are going to take a serious hit.

The old models don't work and we're dead if we keep defending them.

jimhenshaw said...

Sorry. Original link above didn't translate!

That conservative blog again...

http://dustmybroom.com/content/view/5567/1/

Elize Morgan said...

A lot of it, truth be told, is finding a way to "speak" their language.

The right has always had amazing rhetoric. It's hard to argue with "we'll make it cheaper for you" if the person who is voting really only cares about their bottom dollar.

But the easy way to make things easy is to push the "well, hey, arts actually adds a lot back monetarily to the country." The French ad going around about the 11 dollar return is great, but there's no English equivalent.

Conservatives don't vote green. Green is an evil in the right-world just because it costs money and takes away from those primary industries that Canada is so known for (and for not standing up for. Our current laws on water between the US and Canada are ridiculous and often drawn up by Conservatives).

The split vote may not help, but binary politics have gotten us here and middle-of-the-road politics get us almost nowhere. We need to punch up our rhetoric and punch it up fast. By pointing out that more people out of work because of "funding cuts" means that the middle class have to fund more not less. A tax cut is an easy vote. You need to break it. (oh in an ideal world...)
- -

The other easy way to find out what the right is pushing is just perusing the CBC comments on the forum. It's like a constant battle over there.

MK Piatkowski said...

they love it when we talk about how special we are and how important we are. They want more of that. It makes us deliciously easy to ignore.

That's why I've been trying to relentlessly push the economic argument. Because right now with stock markets and gas prices going haywire, no one cares about anything else.

Of course, it doesn't help when Harper says things like this on the election trail:

"You know, I think when ordinary working people come home, turn on the tv and see a gala of a bunch of people, you know, at a rich gala, all subsidized by the taxpayers, claiming their subsidies aren’t high enough when they know the subsidies have actually gone up, I’m not sure that’s something that resonates with ordinary people."

Telling that he wouldn't repeat it in French...

BlaineW. said...

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. And when Bill C-10 was first announced there was a lot of intelligent commentary on this blog about how terrible the legislation was in terms of a business model, how it was even more bureaucratic, how it ghettoized and needlessly hindered the specific 'Canadian' industry etc. And so I certainly agree with DMC and the rest that this is the most intelligent way to go. "The economic argument". If you want to speak "their language" than keep framing the issue in terms of results.

"The Conservatives need to see that we're hard working people with most of the same life goals they have and understand how much so many in their own base benefit from our having a healthy industry." - writes Jim Henshaw, and this I also agree with as it also a completely sensible way to go. And while I appreciate and am learning a lot from all his recent bloggings on all this insider/elite shit and dubious accounting practices of the Canadian industry - I think to equate the "elites" of Wall Street with the "elites" of Canadian show business is wildly off base. And that's putting it as mildly as I can. This isn't even the same election. We are not having the American election.

Harper may still get his majority, but as with the above comment that MK Piatowski cites I can't help but wonder if Harper hasn't miscalculated, become carried away and now gone and overplayed his hand here. He does it all the time when he tries this "resentment" thing. I once saw him as Leader of the Opposition stand in the House of Commons and evoke the Holocaust by way of recalling that it was a Liberal government who turned away Jewish refugees after the second World War. He was trying tag them as a party with a less than stellar record on human rights, but he was arguing against the original gay marriage legislation. It was completely absurd. As Prime Minister he once suggested that the Liberals cared more about Taliban P.O.W's than the actual Canadian troops. (and again, in the House of Commons). And both times these claims completely bombed and he was shown to be the fool, I think. But he perseveres.

And just as anti-Tory types always miscalculate (I think) with their 'Harper has a secret agenda' arguments (witness those Liberal 'We're not making this up' ads from the last election) I think Harper also miscalculates by constantly attempting to paint a portrait of a bottomless swamp of liberal and Liberal perfidy and corruption that he has come to drain. The Gomery Commission was the best thing that ever happened to him politically. Yes there is all kinds of patronage and government largesse distributed all over this country in many forms, but despite the occasional howls of outrage (particularly around election time) millions of Canadians benefit from this and millions more accept and even like it. Including countless people on the so called 'right'.

Yes Harper is and has a 'darkness' but he's not Dick Cheney. He's not even Dick Nixon. And forty-five million dollars Canadian is not seven hundred billion American. His agenda is far from secret. DMC is absolutely right - Harper is attempting to take advantage of divided Canadian centre-left and left to try and win a majority so he can achieve his ultimate goal of staying in power for a long time so that he definitively and historically shrink the size of federal government and kill the Trudeau legacy once and for all. This is why the bureaucrats hate him. I just think he looks completely foolish picking on people like artists and heroin addicts and it may yet all backfire. He looks small. I think he is showing himself to be very small. Its pathetic. And I'm not sure he can keep it up. But I'll concede I could be wrong.

And though I'm sure the present "system" is broken and could be improved in any number of ways, I have to say I think the "non-elites" of Canadian show business resent the "elites" a whole hell of a lot more than the average Canadian does. I think the "average Canadian" (if such a person actually exists - maybe Alice in Thunder Bay) doesn't really give a shit one way or the other, though he or she would probably take the money if they knew how. And when it comes to the Canadian cultural wars I suppose thats a good part of the problem. And part of the reason Harper looks so ridiculous.

But they'd miss it if was gone. The cultural industries I mean. I just watched a so-called "average guy" from Lethbridge interviewed on the CBC about this whole question. He said all the right things about important culture was, how it helped us understand ourselves, blah, blah. And he even looked like he meant it. Then Suhana Meharchand (national treasure) asked him to name his favourite Canadian author and he totally drew a blank.

"C'mon", said Suhana, "what about Margaret Atwood?".

"Yeah yeah", said the guy from Lethbridge, "Margaret Atwood.".

I was sitting on a bench on a street corner waiting for a Go Bus in Hamilton, Ontario today. In the sunlight. It was a lovely afternoon. I was right opposite a Tim Hortons, in the blessed city where Tim Hortons was born. Some guy pulled up in a front end loader and had to wait at a red light right in front of me. He had his shades on, his music was cranked and he was totally rocking out to the unmistakable melody of Big League by Tom Cochrane and Red Rider. And I actually thought about all this - I shit you not. I wondered if that song would even exist if some Canadian government hadn't at some time regulated 30% Canadian content on the radio.

There's still three weeks and one debate to go in this election.

Some times I look at Stephen Harper and dream of David Peterson. But perhaps I'm just kidding myself.

That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...

This reminds me, a friend of mine wrote a letter to CBC that I thought you might want to read. I'm sure she'd enjoy reading your blog, too.

I'm caught up in US politics at the moment, so I haven't been thinking about politics anywhere else. Sounds like you're having as much fun (for a given definition of fun) as we are.

Dwight Williams said...

I know that friend of yours; We belong to a couple of shared fandoms here in Ottawa. And share common concerns on a number of fronts...