Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Writer Geek Tool #456

I MYSELF am a "write with music" person. But I know there are those of you out there for whom this is simply not a workable solution.

Sadly, sometimes in the world there are people who want to have conversations or practice their piano or have loud sex while you're trying to come up with an Act Out.

What to do, what to do?

Well, courtesy of Greg Nelson, here's a website with all the flavours of white noise you would ever want to hear.

Dishwasher? Ventilator? Hard Rain? Flowing River? Pick your non-obtrusive sound, download, plug in headphones and go.

You're welcome.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Hey, that is one handy website!
I just passed it along to my Facebook gang.

Thanks, Dennis!

Jack Norris said...

I always write (and read, and everything else) with something on in the background. For me, it doesn't quite count as "noise" (in the sense that it can really disturb me) if it comes out of a speaker; only real, acoustic impact sounds and live voices are "noise."
I had a big fight a couple of years ago with an upstairs neighbor who came clomping home one night in her boots to her "lovely hardwood floors she would never put carpets on" just as I was on the verge of drifting off to sleep. I put some music on to drown out the sounds of her crashing about, which brought her down screaming at me when she tried to go to bed, by which time I was almost asleep again (as I said, if it's out of a speaker it's not noise to me and I can sleep to it), we were both in foul moods...
Different people definitely have different notions of what is "noise" and what is distracting or disturbing.yvkunmqo

someguy said...

I'm big on the white noise you can buy on itunes. Higher res easier on the ears.

This one is good:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=79906758&id=79906785&s=143455

You set it to loop can't hear people talking.

jimhenshaw said...

Having loud sex while coming up with an Act out has always worked for me -- although sometimes it's hard to type.

wcdixon said...

The Henshaw is back

Mac said...

A source for white noise ... or make your own. Some of my best stuff comes to me when I'm vacuuming. Ya got yer droning sound and yer repetative mindless activity all-in-one. And you get a clean floor to boot.