Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Is 8/10 Really The End of The World?

SO ON Friday, The CRTC released recommendations on how to change the administration of the CTF.

You may or not recall that this process was triggered by a cabler's tantrum earlier this year.

The main recommendations:

• Qualifying Canadian programming would be broadcast in prime time, would meet
a minimum of 8/10 Canadian content points on the Canadian Audio-Visual
Certification Office of the Department of Canadian Heritage (CAVCO) scale, and
would continue to fall within the CTF’s traditional genres of drama, children’s
and youth, documentary and variety/performing arts programming;

• Audience success would be the primary criteria for continued funding;

• Actual and potential return on investment would be a factor in allocating funding
and taking into account the different realities of English and French markets.

To my eyes, the recommendations looked somewhat unremarkable, except, of course, for the one that suggested that Producers lose their seat on the CTF board. Because they benefit, and are therefore in a conflict of interest. That's hilarious because, of course, that's exactly the argument the producers used against the Writers getting a seat on the same board. What goes around...

The WGC and ACTRA both didn't like the new recommendations much. From Playback's reportage:

Actors took aim at the CRTC's recommendations for the Canadian Television Fund on Tuesday, warning that the proposed changes to the embattled fund could lead to fewer key jobs for Canadians.

The CRTC's recommendations, released on Friday, include lowering the minimum CAVCO requirement for eligible primetime content to 8 out of 10 points, down from 10 out of 10.

According to ACTRA national president Richard Hardacre, this "would permit CTF-funded productions to be made without a Canadian in the key roles of a director, or a writer, or a lead performer." Under the current regulations, all three must be Canadian.
The WGC, natch, took a different tack and made (to my mind) a better point:

“Why are we perpetuating this myth that Canadians can’t make TV shows that we want to
watch, about the country we live in. According to Jim Shaw and our regulators, Canadian
talent and market success is inherently incompatible”, said Maureen Parker, executive
director of the Writers Guild of Canada (WGC).

Shows created by Canadians for Canadians draw great audience numbers when promoted
and financed – i.e. “Corner Gas”, “Little Mosque on the Prairie”, “Degrassi: Next
Generation”, “Rick Mercer Report”, “Trailer Park Boys”, our TV movies like: “One Dead
Indian” and “The Man Who Lost Himself.” When shows aren’t fully developed, have cheap
production values, aren’t promoted and are scheduled on Saturday evenings, they won’t
draw an audience. “But what the CRTC fails to understand is that Canadian screenwriters
can’t be held accountable for poor broadcasting decisions. Why is it that on our nation’s
birthday our regulators are reinforcing the negative stereotype that Canadians aren’t good
enough?” said Parker.
That is a larger question, though. We need to first hammer home: when we make good shows, people do watch. People don't want to watch bad shows that are badly promoted and buried.

But...that's another topic for another time.

Here's the part where I get myself in trouble.

Once upon a time, there were a lot of shows made here that were 6/10 productions (by the CAVCO definitions.) What we're arguing about here now is the rump of what's left because most of those 6/10 productions (Canadian in name only, with no meaningful Canadian participation at the top creative rungs) dried up; the market didn't want them anymore. So goodbye Relic Hunter, Earth: Final Conflict et al.

The thing is, when all that was going on, the people who got thrown over the rails first were always the writers.

Writing rooms would be in L.A. These nominally 'Canadian' shows did nothing to help the careers of up and comers here.

But Actors got work. And Directors would get work too. So they did fine. It was writers who got hung out to dry.

Now, suddenly, the 10/10 shows are the only games really in town. If you don't live in Vancouver under the UBCP agreement, you're probably not getting too many guest shots on American series.

So, yeah, we have noisy ACTRA protests complaining about the changes to the rules.

I've gotten a bit of a different perspective on this process since I started getting involved with casting last year. And that experience has made me sympathetic to a number of the Producers' positons. If you're going to have to sell your stuff abroad, you might well need a name to help you do that. There are very few Canadian names, and they're already working all the time.

What I've heard from people who are going through this right now is something a little surprising, and it's this:

It's hard to find good leads.

Lead actors are a different beast. They just are. When you think of the U.S. system, with all their many, exponentially larger acting market, it's still hard to find a good lead. The dirty little secret of our talent pool here is this: there are plenty of good actors in Canada. But LEAD actors -- the ones who are smart enough, pretty enough, charismatic (in that incandescent 'star' way, not in that 'character actor' way) and capable of carrying a series on their shoulders are in very short supply because if they are that good, they do go to the USA. We are also thin on the ground in other areas of talent. It's hard to find good, trained Arab actors. Asian actors (outside of Vancouver) can sometimes be difficult. There are others, too.

(And I know that the same argument was made about black actors in Canada years ago, and there was a concerted effort to improve that, and now Canada has a pool of great black actors. I know that. I'm not saying this is an absolute slam dunk argument...just one to be raised.)

But let's get back to leads.

Lead actors -- smart, star quality, good chops -- tend to have agents in the USA. And try telling that US agent that you're missing Pilot Season for a lead in a Canadian series that only shoots 13 episodes, has no back end, won't put you on option, and oh...you're only making scale. Or close to scale.

I know people going through this right now; tearing their hair out because they can't find a lead. And I know series that have had to cast Canadian because they can't afford to make their budget work if they're not 10/10 -- so they violate the one rule you're never supposed to violate: they cast someone that isn't the best actor for the role. And then they can't sell their show. It's ... ugh.

And yes, maybe casting agents here could try harder, but ACTRA isn't looking to discover new stars either; they're looking to get their current members work. That's their job. All this messianic stuff about 'telling our own stories...' let's sidebar that a moment and focus on the practical.

What I know is this: if the hardest thing to do is find a lead actor, and suddenly you can not do that...well...who are they likely to trade away? The writer? Or that Canadian lead?

We haven't been one big happy family before now. In good times, the actors weren't exactly standing by the writers. I think my script's probably as good as any. With 8/10, sure, maybe the actor will be American and maybe they'll go with a Yankee writer too...

...or maybe I'll be able to set up my script with an American producer and an American actor and shoot here with all the advantages...and it'll still be Canadian.

What goes around comes around, hmm?

-CODA-

Such is the Stockholm Syndrome of working in this industry that I bury the most important point in all this:

Rating, deciding, and allocating money to creative works based on an actuarial "points" system is inherently focacta.

20 comments:

Jennifer Smith said...

Further proving my theory that there is one solution to all of the problems plaguing the Canadian television industry:

Paul Gross.

Lead actor, writer, director, producer. Put him in charge, give him all the money he needs to do whatever he wants, and everything will be fine.

DMc said...

Uh...well...

Can't say I agree with that at all.

Paul Gross is a very effective actor. And he has some talent behind the camera too. But I've found the programs where he took on too much (H20) to be very much inferior to the programs where he did what he did best, which is act (Slings and Arrows) while directors and writers took care of other reins.

In fact, I buy the director/writer hybrid generally more than the actor/writer or actor/director hybrid. There are some things that require distance.

Paul Gross is grossly talented, but I don't think he's quite earned the one stop shopping savior status you're according him.

I'm a big fan, tho.

sinnick said...

If only there were more Moon Bloodgoods in Canada.

Andrew Moodie said...

It's actually hard to find a lead PERIOD. There are plenty of lead actors in Canada, but there's only one lead for YOUR PROJECT. And that will always be a pain in the ass to find. No matter what country your in.

Remember, Sarah Michelle Geller was first auditioned for Buffy and the producers thought she would make a better Cordelia. They didn't think that she could be the lead of the show. And she was called in to audition other actresses for Buffy and the producers thought, hey, lets audition her again for Buffy. The rest is history.

Yes, maybe you have already found your lead and you've passed them by.

ME said...

Those of you who know me know that I am not actually a fan of the CTF. I think it encourages crony-ism and, in the hands of some broadcasters, has been used unfairly. I personally would rather see a different tax credit system, whereby your rebate on labour spend is proportional to genre and budget. That and a condition that the Canadian broadcaster's budget contribution must be a minimum percentage of total budget to count as CanCon in their logs and to trigger tax credits for the prodco (there are horror stories of $300K per ep shows being sold to a Canadian channel for $5K just so the producer could collect their tax credits).

Diane Kristine Wild said...

And those who know me know I can't stand the blather that comes out of the unions on these things.

"Why are we perpetuating this myth that Canadians can’t make TV shows that we want to watch, about the country we live in. According to Jim Shaw and our regulators, Canadian talent and market success is inherently incompatible.”

Nooo, hate Jim Shaw as much as you want, accept that he's deluded about what's "good" and what audiences want to watch (dissing Trailer Park Boys?), but what he's saying is let's fund the stuff that achieves both - that uses Canadian talent and that finds market success. Wasn't there another recommendation that there be a separate fund for "worthy" shows that aren't likely to achieve market success?

But anyway, if market success is a criteria for funding, maybe there's an incentive for networks to create and publicize good shows.

The unions don't give a damn about making shows the audience wants to see - they want jobs for their members. Period. Who cares if the work is in crap productions no one wants to watch, funded by taxpayers? It says a lot that I trust Jim Shaw more than them to speak to how to improve the industry so those taxpayers will want to watch what they're paying for.

Jennifer Smith said...

Just for the record, I'm not actually a Due South fetishist (not even a regular viewer), and I was half kidding about Paul Gross. Only half, though.

He may not be the best writer or director we have, but he's plenty competent, he's got a longer track record than most on both sides of the camera, and he's got a legion of breathless fans worldwide who would happily buy whatever he's selling. Oh, and he's still here.

I consider those to be serious assets.

BTW, I also think that 'H2O' was one of the best things ever made for Canadian television. Slick, topical, engrossing - top notch. I've seen it half a dozen times and haven't tired of it. I don't know how much was due to Gross and how much to the Quebecois involvement (face it, they're better at this), but I thought it was brilliant.

We will simply have to disagree on this one, sir.

(oh, and actors often make excellent directors - two in particular spring to mind)

BlaineW. said...

I do believe Paul Gross WROTE that CBC movie 'Gross Indecency' (something like that) that Atom Egyon directed, about THAT hockey player who used to play forr the Pittspurgh Penguins - but whose name I can't remember right now. Denis with one n - I have to say that is actually one of my favourite Atom Egoyan films.. And I do believe that the man (Gross) has written plays, though I have no idea their title.

BlaineW. said...

And I will certainly second Jennifer. I thought H2O was if nothing else, very interesting. At least it wasn't boring. Political. Sinister. That whole Trudeau Funeral reference thing going on. Another whole Hamlet thing going on - (and he does it well - as in Slings and Arrows - I would say that he would most definitely qualify as a LEAD, Canadian or otherwise.) And touching upon this whole Canadian neurotic economic fixation with our fresh water? We'll sell everything else - just don't bloody well sell the water. We are the Kuwait of fresh water. Let him do more of them - why not? Make it a series?

BlaineW. said...

With Martha Henry
as his
Wasted Mother?

syferium said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mef said...

I wish I knew half as much about financing as Caroline does.

on another note:

It's hard to disagree with Diane about the unions.

(But I think Denis is right that the system hasn't effected all the guilds equally. And at least in the case of the WGC, its positions would lead to work for everyone in the industry, wheras ACTRA and the DGC, until recently have been tacit supporters of a system that has always screwed over Canadian writers.)

That said, nothing will ever convince me that Jim Shaw has any moral high ground in this discussion. His whining about the money he pays into the system would be like me asking for the homeless people to pay for the bottles they take out of my recycling. It's, to steal a recent theme from a John Rogers post, shameless.

DMc said...

Paul Gross is a talented guy, a heck of a good Canadian star. He indeed wrote "Gross Misconduct" which was a pretty good TV movie.

That being said, I strongly think that H20 fell apart and became an utter mess in the second half. Those of you who loved it, please, all these years later, having seen it twice -- can you please explain to me why Gross' character is upset in the end of the picture, when seemingly the events he set in motion come to fruition? I don't understand anything he's doing in Part 2. In fact, that was the most shocking thing about the program for me -- I thought part one ROCKED, but but from the moment they recapped at the blackboard at the start of Part 2 I started going, "quoi?"

Also, I'm pretty sure Men With Brooms could have been a stronger film had he not tried to do it all himself.

Jennifer, you're committing a sin of extrapolation here. Sure there are a few actors who make good directors. Just as there are a few lawyers who become great writers, and a few rich kids who become fine producers...

..that does nothing to change the fact that the vast number of actor directed projects are self indulgent and crummy; as are most lawyer written books and rich kid vanity movies.

DMc said...

Hey Mr. Farrell,
Been trying to email you the last day or so and it keeps bouncing back. Could you send me a email so we can chat?

Mef said...

i sent it. let me know, via the blog i guess if you didn't get it.

mark

Unknown said...

Jennifer, you're committing a sin of extrapolation here.

Observation from the sidelines? Plenty of that to go around, with each seeming from here to be overstating the other's case. Jennifer's "often" and DMc's "a few" might be closer to one another than they first appear.

You also have two threads of discussion crossing each other -- (1) how many hats one person can wear before a project suffers, and (2) how many actors are also good directors (in a general sense -- it stopped being limited to directing oneself a while back in the exchange). It's not always clear which points being made apply to which question.

(And dear God, I think the lawyers I deal with in my day job are rubbing off on me. Help!)

None of which makes the discussion any less interesting or educational. So I'll shut up now and let you have it. :-)

BlaineW. said...

Indeed the second half of H20 does not work as well as the first. I only saw it once, it has been a while and I may be wrong - but I thought the idea was that this BIG BAD BUSINESS CONSORTIUM that he was fronting, end up controlling him. Actually murdering his father, etc. And as he ascends to the heights of power there is nothing he can do about it. If its available, (don't know if its on DVD) perhaps I'll watch it again.

I actually didn't care for Men With Brooms. Other than for another lovely opportunity to watch Molly Parker work, I just thought it was a ridiculous, bad idea that just wasn't funny and that nobody could have saved. I understand what they were trying to do - a popular Canadian comedy with a hook that they could advertize during the Winter Olympics, etc., but it certainly didn't work for me. As Martin Amis once said of Hollywood - 'They make the ones they can't get out of' (paraphrasing). I think some kind of Canadian version of this happened with regards to Men With Brooms.

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Yeah, Mark, it says a lot that the unions make me defend Jim Shaw ... but don't mistake that for me actually supporting his position.

Though I guess I kind of do. Not in the sense that I think he should get what he wants, but that his tantrum is causing the funding model to be put under scrutiny. Unfortunately it's hard to trust the CRTC or the unions or the broadcasters to come up with solutions that will create a stronger industry.

That's what's getting me down lately - there's no one to root for. I get that Canadian content as a whole will get crushed if we just let market forces rule. But if you're telling me that giving people the 8/10 option means Canadian actors won't get hired over American actors, and Canadian screenwriters won't get hired over American ones, to me that comes across as ACTRA and the WGC saying that their members are not as talented as Americans. I know that's simplistic, but how many name writers and actors are there who are going to be competing with you in the lower-paying Canadian market? Maybe more than I think, but the message that Canadian actors and writers can't compete is what the unions are saying, not Jim Shaw.

And this is all my opinion formed on very little thought, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot who's missing the point.

Jennifer Smith said...

Sure there are a few actors who make good directors.

10 out of the last 30 'Best Director' Oscar winners were originally actors. Not to say that they all necessarily deserved it, but their peers apparently thought so.

Perhaps I should just re-word my original statement: many excellent directors were originally actors. How's that?

(see? you should come to Polaris so I can bother you in person - or at least explain the ending of H2O to you :)

Mef said...

Diane:

I was just trying to say that a system that is good for actors and directors, or doesn't hurt them, isn't necessarily good for canadian writers.

For example in nova scotia, when we have an industry people don't mean 22 or trailer park boys. they mean american made for tv movies. Local actors do get some work (crumbs but every once in a while a meaty role). Local writers don't get any.(I'm not looking for any, but there is none available)

I don't think you're missing the point though, for what it's worth

m