So what to do? I'm actually in a pretty good place right now. (Well, that's not true. I'm in Calgary for the weekend, but...oh relax, it's a joke...) Bill Cunningham recently posted lots and ins and outs and suggestions that were great in some ways, naive in others, but always, at their core, American can-do hopeful.
That's why Americans, when they do good, do great, kids. They don't defeat themselves before they start.
I describe myself as a mid-level writer here and that works for me. But the truth is I don't doubt my talent for a second. I'm smart. I'm a good writer. I know this. I've lived here long enough to know that you don't go around saying that because then people snipe at you and grow unkind. That's the Canadian way.
I suppose, when the subject of Canadian TV came up, I could turtle like most everyone else, but the difference is I don't feel like working in an industry that's fucked -- if that involves me knowingly working on crap that I know could be better, but never can be because the ... [insert the 1001 structural problems here] . I love the medium too much. I've seen the talent here. I've seen the enthusiasm from people at the network side too. I've talked to them at parties and baseball games and everywhere else. They, for the most part, are tied by the fact that what they do is seen as a "necessary evil" inside their organizations. In a way, we have a lot in common with them. They just get to work in the big house. We're out on the street. But unless they start caring more about what upstairs thinks (when upstairs doesn't really care, to be honest) than what they know to be good tv -- they are not the enemy here.
No one wants to do bad work!
If status quo's my only option, I'd rather get out. If I lose jobs because I'm actually speaking truth here, then so be it. They're either crappy jobs, or crappy people giving those jobs out. They clearly don't want what I want or see what I see or hope for what I hope for for TV in this country. They are not bold and they are not quality. So be it.
Right now I'm in a place where I'm working with people I enjoy. I'm having a ball. At work. It's great.
So I may have, in my head, planned a bunch of new volleys, but I'm punting. This is it, for a while on the CanTV file. I'm punting because I can and because it's not my job to wave the flag by myself, but mostly because I don't feel like spending two hours writing a post for dear old Bill that would better be expressed in an hour's ranting over Guinness.
So here's the headline news version, the short version of what Henshaw and Cunningham sparked me enough to say:
1) The Networks decide what shows they want now Under the CTF, not the government. (to clear up a Bil point) That's been the way since they switched to the envelope system. The problem is there's no incentive for picking good shows and no punishment for failure, because the business model of the private Canadian nets is not based on making shows or selling shows, it's based on importing U.S. shows into a very favorable protected market.
That being said, the solution has to be a Made-in-Canada solution, because Canada faces a set of circumstances that no other nation faces, because no other nation has ALL the U.S. nets in there, all the time, as direct competition, yardstick, and tastemaker.
It's all well and good to look to touring American models of storymaking, as the Lee Goldbergs and such paraded around Europe recently. Europeans might need that injection of U.S. story savvy. I don't know.
But what's always been true of Canada is this: America does not think of Canada at all, or if it does, it's as a leg. Nothing more. Our box office receipts? Counted as U.S. domestic.
We can say that we'll do copros with the U.S. -- but let's all remember the dirty little secret -- how a few years ago there were shows that shot in Canada all the time that were Canadian shows for Cancon purposes, but ran their story rooms out of L.A. and hired American writers -- fake Canadians with easy to get passports, or Canadians that live in L.A. This was the NORM. Your tax dollars at work did NOTHING to support people like me -- they went south to L.A. How you like them California oranges?
Let's remember all the Americans who were "deemed" to be Canadian for the purposes of production, then ask why nobody knows who the Canadian showrunners are. Let's ask why the DGC and ACTRA were only too happy to sell Canadian writers down the river and work on these "faux Cancon" shows without nary a stink. Let's look at those credits STILL on some of these shows and note how they're DGC signatory and ACTRA but not WGC -- trading directors for writers, oldest trick in the book.
Then let's wonder why TV -- which at its best is a writer-driven enterprise -- isn't as good as it could be despite the talent here. Let's ask why the talent gets frustrated and leaves. Let's ask why even the ones who are so bright they would have to wind up in the U.S. anyway go there without ever having become a star here first. (Even Tom Green never got a show up here...by the time the Comedy Network bit, he was on the way to MTV.) Insert Jim Carrey here, too, or imagine Ricky Gervais if he'd not been allowed to do The Office, but instill had to work his way up the rungs of Still Standing.
An article in the G&M last weekend said something like 25% of the people working at creative levels of the US industry -- actors, directors, etc -- were Canadian. That seemed high to me, but who knows. (It was in the article where they talked about Waneta Storms bunking with Sandra Oh.)
The truth is when it comes to the U.S. they're always about the open market, until they're not, or can push advantage. Anyone who's read nine thousand years of headlines about fucking softwood lumber knows this.
If we're going to fix it, we got to fix it ourselves. Can we fix it if all the people who've been doing this longer than me won't open their mouths? Who knows?
2) The radical solution --
I do not for a moment think this is actually the way to go. I want to say that up front. But part of the despair of explaining just how byzantine the problems and challenges are here comes from having to frame the discussion before you start. Here's where Bill Cunningham's "solution" post inspired me.
The secret really is stake. Encouraging entrepeneurship, on some level.
But if we're going to get rid of protectionism, as Jim Shaw and the CTF haters and the CBC bashers want, let's get rid of all of it.
Here's my plan. Ready?
1) End across the board simultaneous substitution.
Now CTV and Global and CBC have to compete with the U.S. nets already available in Canada.
Oh wait. Not a good idea? It will destroy their business? Oh. Okay. Hmmm. So you're saying...to compete in the U.S. marketplace...they need a bit of regulatory relief? Oh. Okay...but isn't that what the .... never mind, never mind...
Please note, were this to happen, Canadians wouldn't lose much, because so long as the U.S. nets were here, they'd still see all those shows they like, right? Right? The 1999 rule change which took away the stick that Cannets had to make drama killed drama. They took that away, which was one of the few things that made the Canadian networks different.
Too radical? I agree. You can't throw open your cultural borders entirely -- this is a point that every country in the world except the U.S., and on some level, Canada, understands.
So. THAT being said...
Here is my simplified plan for fixing Canadian TV (revised):
1) Simultaneous Cable Substitution is no longer automatic. Cannets get a set number of hours per week they can substitute. It's low. The rest of the schedule, they either have to go head to head with the U.S. signal (even if they are showing the same program) or they counterprogram. Stick.
2) Tie spending on homegrown production to a formula of spending on U.S. programming and Revenues.
If a network is doing well by showing U.S. shows they picked up cheap, they have to spend more on Canadian shows. If they're doing poorly, they can spend less on Can shows, but they also get to do less substitutions. Cap it at 7% or whatever. Stick and Carrot.
3) Let them earn more substitution windows. The better your indigenous stuff does, and the more you spend on it, you get bonus windows where you can put your signal over that U.S. signal every week. Carrot.
So... what happens now?
Canadian Network people need to find hits. Stick.
Canadian Networks need to care about their Canadian shows. Stick.
Everyone takes a risk....networks and creatives. Stick and Carrot.
Schedulers won't be able to act like rockstars anymore. The D-people will be just as important as people who get to go to the L.A. screenings. Stick and Carrot.
Canadian creatives have to be audience focused, or they don't get renewed. Stick.
The ones who do well will be in demand. Carrot.
Some things will fail. Some people will get fired. Creatives who do not deliver will not get three, four, nine chances because they go to the same dinner parties. There will be new opportunities. But the risk and the reward will be spread around, if not equally, then at least equitably.
Network people who find hits will make more money and get credit and rise. Carrot.
Networks who have homegrown hits will be able to sell them worldwide. Carrot.
Creatives who show they know how to write and create shows that please the audience and are loved will make more money. Maybe even enough so that they don't have to go to the USA. Carrot.
The one thing that will not work: continued protectionism for the corporate side of the industry, while the creative side gets none.
Why? Because under that scenario (the current scenario) one side is getting all the sticks, while the other side gets all the carrots. And the side getting all the carrots points to the guys getting the crumbs and has the audacity to say, "why am I paying for that?"
That's the point we have to make.
(By the way, yes..the CBC is a different story. It always is. We do no one a service by pretending it's not.)
And once again, another little window into just how challenging getting any straight news through about this industry is: here's an excerpt from the LA Times article on Slings and Arrows that ran recently. (thanks to Meridian Artists for this.
Read and weep:At January's Television Critics Assn. press tour, a small contingent from "Slings & Arrows" noticed with some satisfaction how the attending Canadian critics, once dismissive, now seemed proud of their countrymen's show, clearly adored by the U.S. reporters.
"The response in Canada was typically Canadian — lukewarm and in some quarters downright hostile," Fichman said. "Canadians were going, 'Oh, no, not another Canadian thing.' " Even some of those who rolled their eyes at first "are writing really nice stuff now," he said.
When Sundance aired the series in August 2005, it was "an unexpected gift in the TV landscape," said Laura Michalchyshyn, Sundance Channel's head of programming. "No one can believe it's a series not financed in this country. People were begging us for DVDs.
Yeah. It's messed. Today was one positive Canadian TV post, one Neg (or as I'd like to think of it, neutral/hopeful.)
Glad I've got a job. For now at least. Now. Who wants pie?
*** Addendum to Editoires ***
It's a measure of how cloistered and silent people are in the Canadian industry are that I can say this: I know you're out there. I see the site stats, all the people popping in here from Canwest Papers, and CBC, and CP, and all sorts of Canadian news outlets. Register and join the discussion, chilluns. Don't be so Canadian.
Anyway, I'm happy to announce that I'm going to be attending the Banff TV Festival this year as accredited media, for this blog. I'm also looking to freelance a couple of articles while I'm there. If you're interested in having me write a piece for your publication, contact me at the dirty little email addy advertised on the sideboard.
More on Banff and what's coming up there next week.
7 comments:
D - thank you very much. You've answered some of my questions and shattered some of my assumptions.
Always a good thing.
Great post.
Nice work. Probably a couple of things I would add to your thoughts, though.
You leave cable nets out of the equation, and they've done more volume on Canadian shows than the terrestrials have. Lower budgets, sure, but more overall jobs across the board. Yet they get no simultaneous substitution carrot, which was put into place before we had cable nets. So, probably time to afford them some of the same perks as the terrestrials are getting.
The other issue is budget, or specifically, what some of the networks are paying for Canadian shows. If a producer is wily enough to actually make foreign pre-sales and take themselves out of the CTF hamster wheel, Canadian broadcasters are taking advantage and paying ridiculously low license fees knowing that the producer is getting tax credits. I know of at least a couple of dozen examples of established networks paying $5,000 CDN for a one-hour budgeted at $300,000 CDN and playing hardball with the producer because the networks knows the producer needs the tax credits. Solution? Make the network's ability to count the show as CanCon contingent to them paying a minimum percentage of budget (10 to 20% seems reasonable as minimum given that the average is somewhere between 30 and 40% according to the CFTPA).
The other problem we have is networks buying 2nd, 3rd or 10th windows on old CanCon and having these count at 100% in the logs. So series they can buy for $1,000 an episode have the same weight as new productions that cost 200 times that. Doesn't seem right. In order to ensure decent episode orders on series every year, I think there should also be a sliding scale of what percentage a network can count as CanCon. For example, the first year they run it, it counts 100%, then starts dropping by 10% a year.
The other practice that has to stop (and which the UK equivalent of the CRTC, OFCOM, had the sense to stop in the UK a couple of years ago) is networks recouping all their license fees on producers sales. If a Canadian network gets all its money back, why should it be allowed to count the show as CanCon? They essentially got it for free or made money. The related seedy practice is demanding all distribution rights in exchange for the greenlight ... no rights, no greenlight.
You may have noticed that the off-peak airwaves are overpopulated with sponsored CanCon shows about fishing, religion, food, leisure, recreation, etc. A little known fact is that these shows are produced and certified as CanCon (and usually paid for by the sponsors and advertisers) but the Canadian networks who air them are charging the producers for the airtime. So again, they get Canadian shows not just for free, but with airtime sales to boot. Way unfair. Pretty much every network group but the kids net has at least one of these and sometimes many in the schedule. Solution? If the network is getting paid to air the show, they can't count it as CanCon. And if they do air it, they need to put up that minimum percentage of budget to count it as 100%.
I think there are also concessions to be made with US nets that come in directly on cable (TBS, A & E, Spike and TLC are the biggest ones). There's gotta be some way to loosen the purse strings to derive more benefit for the industry here. Not saying take them off the air, though it seems unfair that other networks have partnered to create Canadian versions and these guys are exempt. It is also frustrating that they are all now patently in competition with existing Canadian program services and ergo not really entitled to come in over the air from the US, but I'm sure taking them down would create a free trade holy war with the US so I'll leave that aside for now. I don't know what the answer is to this particular problem, I just know it isn't right or fair anymore.
Lastly, I am not a fan of the CTF's envelope system. The sniff test on CanCon is too tough (the classic story is of a wildlife series that submitted two episodes for review about the moose and the beaver and got notes back that they weren't idenfiably Canadian enough ... wtf?). It has also allowed networks to play favourites and disproportionately give funds to certain producers and not others. I am a huge advocate of making the tax credits bigger and eliminating the CTF altogether.
PS Re: Slings and Arrows. I think the fact that Laura M. is a Canadian and a huge champion of producers here made the difference ... I am not so sure the show would have been so warmly received without her cheerleading. Not that it isn't a great show, it is.
So much here worth taking into consideration...it's been an eight year slide down that I've been, like so many others, a victim of and yet (cringes), I've also taken advantage of (see: trading writers for directors). But now it's time to hear from ALL sides and ALL perspectives and see if we can't find an acceptable middle ground.
Nice work sir.
Nice work Denis. Articulating much of what I've been unable to for some time.
But be careful lumping directors into the trade war. For three years while sitting on a provincial DGC board and 1 year on the National Directors Division the single biggest issue being fought by me and many other directors was our own guild selling out the directors for every other department covered by the DGC. Keeping PA's and Production Managers working on US shows was clearly more important than protecting directors rights on Canadian shows. Many (not all) of those same loosely Canadian shows you allude to treated Canadian directors in much the same way as they treated writers. The permit process at the DGC was/is a joke.
Of course writers don't even get the opportunity to discuss permits for outside writers. Not that the DGC permit method is a desirable model to be followed.
In a round of contract negotiations a few years back, the directors were told essentially that if they didn't shut up and take what they were given (pretty much a reduction in conditions) that the Americans were going to pull up stakes and move all of their productions out of the country.
This was how the contract offer was sold to us by our own guild!
There was no fight on the part of our negotiators, no mediation, no consideration at all for the directors. Which I found very peculiar as we had not actually asked for anything during the entire contract negotiations except for the opportunity to open a discussion about permits at a later date. The offer the producers started with was then reduced and the hammer came down! We weren't asking for negotiation. We just wanted to talk.
The thing that struck me immediately about this is that it was coming from the US studios. The same studios that rarely if ever hire Canadian directors. Why were the US studios doing the bidding for the CFTPA? Well it seems clear that these so called Canadian shows would have a tougher time if Canadian directors had a say in how they operated.
But really, I didn't blame the producers because when it came down to it, it was our own union that worked harder at selling the membership on this NON-negotiation. And it was made clear to everyone that the directors were somehow trying to spoil everyone elses livelihood.
This is really what the unions think of creative.
As long as the unions and guilds keep us separated writers and directors will be powerless in this country.
I have no idea where the Status of the Artists and authorship discussions have gone in recent years *embarrassment*, but I do firmly believe that if the writers and directors were a united front across this country we'd have a much stronger position when it comes to all of these issues and possible solutions you present.
Thanks very much you guys for these perspectives. Some of it I knew and some I didn't.
Thanks for that intel on the DGC thing - I think between this and the travesty of the ACTRA negotiations, it's clear that the whole "stay silent" thing has us screwed right over the barrel. What now?
Keep those cards and letters coming.
great post and some great comments.
I've often thought about what would happen if simulcasts went away...after the tumult what would be the end result? and I always came to the conclusion that the privates would still buy american shows, just for a lot less and the americans would still sell them, it would just be for less money, but the money is still free to them anyway.
but your idea of limiting signal substitution makes a ton o' sense, especially if the points about license fees that caroline brings up are incorporated...
(though wouldn't it still be cheaper to buy desperate housewives or house and air them even without signal substitution, especially if market forces brought the prices down... I need someone with more financing savvy to answer that one)
so other than writing "great post", typing out the random collection of letters, and then previewing and then deciding fine I'll publish it....what's next?
mark
I think you are dead on about the simultaneous substitution. It killed Canadian made TV because the networks have no impetus to produce their own shows when they can by U.S. stuff cheap and make us watch it on their channels. Personally I would do away with it totally. If they can't come up with and finance material that the audience wants to watch, they have no business even existing. Whey do we need 3 of 4 or 5 or howevermany networks we now have; channel all the money into CBC, and maybe one more network.
Post a Comment