I was all set to spend some time being collapsed last night, but of course it was not to be. I had tickets to go see Gnarls Barkley at Toronto's Koolhaus club.For the two-and-a-half people who've somehow managed to miss it, Barkley is the mashup band of Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse. They give a wildly entertaining stage show where they dress up in various costumes. Last night, they came out dressed as fry cooks, with the women dressed as waitresses, and Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse wearing Chef's Hats. They stepped up and did the shtick they do at every show: "Gnarls Barkley can't be here tonight. We're the Sam Cook(e)s."
Then they ripped through their set. (They also opened with, appropriately enough, "Hungry Like the Wolf," which was pretty funny.
The band was so tight, the music so infectious (really, is there a better summer song out now than "Crazy?" I think not) that you couldn't help but be in a good mood. Which is good, because Daddy's pretty stressed right now. So though my feet and my ass are tired from the shaking, the soul is doing okay. Which is good, because there's plenty of grinding ahead.
Things I have to write about soon, when I get the chance:
-Three Moons Over Milford. Why, all of a sudden, is ABC Family the place for high-concept Sci-Fi? And what, exactly, did Elizabeth McGovern do to herself surgically?
-Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. Oh yeah. I saw it. Oh yeah. I dug it. Oh yeah.
-Why Brotherhood is the next Sopranos, bitches.
1 comment:
Damn, I had a ticket for the Gnarls show, but I was sick as a dog last night so I had to skip it.
Did you get there in time for the opening act, Peeping Tom? I wanted to see them too. It's a project from the singer from Faith No More.
Post a Comment