I took a break from pounding out the outline I'm on right now to go and take care of my carpal tunnel issues. I broke down and bought the Ilap. It was a bit of an odyssey finding one. First, the place I went to pick up my new computer bag was out. For some reason, every time I go to pick up more than one thing from this store, they're out of something. I have bad store mojo. All my life. It's my curse.
So then I trundled off to the Apple Store in the huge tourist trap downtown mall, The Eaton Centre. They didn't even stock it. I called two more stores and they were out and finally took three buses to find an Apple dealer with one in stock. (By now I was committed.) Right now I'm sitting in a lovely, mostly empty bar. The guys from the kitchen are freaking out over the World Cup match on the Telly right now...I'm chortling as I read about England managing to eke out a win through no apparent effort whatsoever, and my laptop is gloriously supported. My posture is much better. This rocks.
So why do I give up?
While I was in the Eaton Centre, I happened to wander into one of our chain bookstores, because someone I know was working there. I browsed the magazines a bit, and noticed that in front of one rack there were women, about a dozen of them, stacked four deep, all reading multiple copies of one magazine. People Magazine.
A dozen women, gathered to see Brad and Angelina and their baby Cletus, or whatever its name is. I watched this for about five minutes. The minute a People went back into the rack, there was another woman to snatch it up, fingers trembling as she flipped to the photos.
Pre-internet, a boy of a certain age could sometimes be caught in a variety store surreptitiously flipping through a Playboy with the exact same expression on his face.
For every woman that bought one of the People magazines, ten more just wanted to browse. Eventually, after a few minutes, the magazines were gone. And so were the women.
But then the stock guy brought out more. And within a minute, there was a whole new crowd of women, five or six, gathered 'round. I can't be sure, but I think a few of them were carrying gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
I give up. I officially do not get it anymore.
Bonus points: At a film industry gathering Monday night, I was talking to a woman and she asked, "You were in South Africa for a while, right?"
"Yes," I said.
"That's near Namibia, isn't it?"
"Uh, yeah."
Her eyes glazed over.
Guess what she wanted to talk about next?
I give up.
2 comments:
Oh come on, Denis. You get it. The women all are in awe and rapture that a man voted, "Sexiest Man Alive on Planet Earth and nearby Solar Systems," actually wants to settle down and have kids. He's hot and he's committed to family. Oh, and he's idealistic and charitable to boot!
How many "romance buttons" does that push, ladies?
(And there's also that contingent that believes the two most beautiful people on the planet are gonna have an ugly kid - nobody can be that lucky)
on route to Banff tv fest...let's see what they are all talking about there.
Post a Comment