Thursday, November 3, 2005

J.D. Come Home. All is Forgiven!

You Yanquis down there in Bizarro-America (I'm sorry, I've finally snapped it: as a guy born proudly in the Bronx, a Florida voter since 1988, (absentee election law: look it up) I gotta say I've finally decided that the only logical explanation for what's going on now is that somehow, somewhere I went through a wormhole, and just like when Superman met his craggy-faced, intellectually-hamstrung doppelganger, I'm no longer looking at the United States at all. But that's the kind of aside one expects from an entirely different Dennis, so...) might know John Roberts as the good looking White House correspondent for CBS News.

But up here in Toronto, we have fonder memories. Once upon a time, John was J.D. And J.D. Roberts, among other things, was the host of a groundbreaking Canadian music show produced by Citytv called The New Music. How groundbreaking? The New Music showed videos and treated Rock and Roll seriously years before MTV was even a dream. It was one of the first places to feature The Police, The Clash, Elvis Costello and countless others - in freewheeling, serious, depth-ridden interviews. J.D. interviewed rock stars with a serious bent, and had the feathered hair and denim to prove it.

Sadly, it's been years since Citytv did anything that innovative, but that's a subject for another time.

One of my fondest memories (long before I got into TV) was being an irascible teenager, snapped up on the Peach Schnapps at some concert at Ontario Place, following J.D. around the arena. Every time he tried to do his standup, we'd let him get ten seconds in before shouting "We love you, J.D," and wrecking the take. One of my friends flashed her 16 year old breasts at him. It was all in good fun.

Well, you can take the Boy out of the Rock and Roll, but it's so much harder to take the Rock and Roll out of the boy.

Read this.

J.D., we salute you. You frickin magnificent bastard. Don't worry about the mealy-mouthed apology. We know the score in Bizarro-America. The point is, after years of leaving us wondering, we now know the truth:

You're still not afraid to give'r!

2 comments:

Kelly J. Crawford said...

I've always liked J.D. -- both the adult beverage and the super hot Canadian TV personality.

Callaghan said...

Stupendous.