Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Continuity Shmontinuity

Well lookee-loo...we got our first user-generated topic...yesiree, this internets thing is awesome, even without the porn.

Below in the comments section of the post about Prison Break, we got into a bit of a discussion about arc-continuity type shows vs. stand-alone dramas. In response to that, KJC writes:

I've been experiencing some frustration lately with pitching my series to Canadian prodcos. They get really nervous when I tell them that the show will have (if I have anything to say about it) the same kind of balance between stand alones and serial/mini-arc eps as V Mars. They tell me that the international audience they'll be selling the show to will get confused and frustrated if I have continuing storylines. They want all (or at least 95%) stand alones, just like the slick and impersonal plots found on Law & Order. Personally, I think those kinds of fears don't apply in the day and age of VCRs, Tivos and DVD boxed sets. Charlie Jade did an excellent job of creating multi-layered storylines that stretched across an antire 20 ep season, and the Internet helped fill in the blanks for those who got a little lost. Today's audience is more sophisticated and tolerant of change. I just wish prodco and studio heads would wise up -- and catch up -- with the rest of us.


There's a few things going on here. The first, sadly, requires that I engage some HTML code that's liable to baffle any American readers. It'll be quick, I promise...
[Canadian reality] Let's assume that all things are equal, and your series is the bee's knees and like the CBC turning down Corner Gas or the Canadian Network Person I know who turned down... no kidding ... The Sopranos-- after he had seen the pilot, the problems you have selling it right now is destined to go down in history as shortsightedness of almost Biblical proportions. There's still a reason that Canadian networks don't like continuity that has nothing to do with audiences not being able to follow stuff.

When a Canadian Net buys a show from the U.S., whenever possible, they try to play it at the same time as the U.S. channel. This is because of a ruling by the CRTC (Canada's version of the FCC: but more concerned with Canadian Identity, and less with nipples and the f-bomb) that allows for "simultaneous substitution." If a Canadian Network shows a show at the same time as the U.S. Network, the Canadian channel gets to substitute its signal over the American one for the duration of the program. (In Canada, most of the U.S. Nets are available via basic cable.) Now this makes Canadian networks a ton of extra dosh, but also puts them at a pretty basic disadvantage, in that they don't really control their schedules. If American Idol wants to do a special episode, then CTV cuts whatever they were going to show and substitutes it, the better to suck up the ad dollars with, my dear... Inevitably, lesser shows get bounced around. And those "lesser shows" are usually the Canadian shows. So it's no wonder they don't want continuity. That show's going to work its way through seven timeslots and be pre-empted six times over its thirteen episode life. [/Canadian Reality]

I also remember hearing from someone-in-a-position-to-know the figure that even people who consider themselves "regular viewers" of a show only see half of the episodes. Half. That's a "regular viewer." That's brutal.

So you can imagine the Networks and Proddies getting skittish.

Thing is: so what? The way they've been doing it, for this we've seen so many hits? I say, "nay."

The fact is that, though people in my end of the biz are loathe to admit it, there have been some things learned from the Reality TV boom. If the narrative is compelling, it will become appointment viewing. And if it doesn't, you do a recap episode. Desperate Housewives and Lost learned that lesson. And Charlie Jade did too -- it's why we produced a recap episode eight months after we wrapped principal photography.

Law & Order was once one of my favorite shows. But I'm done. I can't possibly watch that formula again without retching. It gives me nothing new.

The funny thing is, between internet recaps, grey Bit Torrent files, and DVD sales, continuity driven shows are no longer the bogeyman they once were, or at least they shouldn't be. If you look at the U.S. schedule this fall, you'll see plenty of serial dramas. Yes, you risk not hooking the audience. But if you do hook them, the reward is greater. You might make them loyal viewers.

Like everything else, Canada will discover this. Probably a year or two from now. It just requires a few good network people with icewater in their veins and passion in their hearts. I know they're out there, rustling in the hills.

But then again, I worked for [Canadian Name Drop] Moses Znaimer [/Canadian Name Drop] so I've seen up close what vision can do.

Even the craaaayyyzeee-vision.

9 comments:

Kelly J. Crawford said...

It's nice to see that you and I feel the same way about the current serials vs. stand alones situation, and our hopes for the future of Canadian-made serialized dramas, Denis. There are a few Canadian network and prodco heads with passion and creative vision who can see the potential of this kind of storytelling. Moses being one. D. Boehme being another. CHUM really thinks outside the box, that's why I intend to pitch the show to them.

KJC (who also worked for Moses Znaimer and enjoys internet porn)

Cunningham said...

Interesting, I had no idea that Canadian shows were bumped around like that. I can se how that develops the "stand alone episode" defense mechanisms.

Now that the American market is coming around to serial drama (which is mostly genre related) in prime time and cable, we should tip the hat to those factors that have brought this about.

1. BABYLON 5 - a story designed from the start to last only five years. Some bumps along the road to be sure, but a groundbreaker.

2. MURDER ONE - another serial that was mentioned in the previous posts...

3. DVD - which has forced networks to not rerun episodes, but allow the viewers to get the DVD set at the end of the season. 24 was/is the big winner in this camp as its DVD sets sell phenomenally well. Some viewers don't watch the show on network but on DVD only. (Let's see where that viewing habit will lead us...)

This has also forced networks to create new programming for the mid / summer "season" in order to keep viewers. No reruns gives more creators more opportunities to create serial entertainment for the summer season. 13 episode serials anyone?

4. Cable TV which is running new programming (THE 4400, THE DEAD ZONE, THE SHIELD) and reaping the rewards of niche programming and DVD sales.

Does this mean we are becoming more like our British cousins in terms of our programming - limited series of 13 - 20 episode runs? Any way you look at it, the ground is fertile for new limited run programming that's later released on DVD. Self contained stories not locked into the self-contained episode format.

I, for one couldn't be happier. While the reviews were mixed on last night's premiere, PRISON BREAK is good pulpy fun that is an intriguing concept. Not just a whodunnit, but a howshegonnadoit.

I know I'm tuning in on Monday night...

Grubber said...

I have been thinking lately about this, and with the take up of ADSL, I reckon it wont be long until the studios put up weekly or maybe monthly trailers on the relevant website which would provide any new viewers with all the back story they need on any characters or story arcs for the series.

It is updated as needed, and thus you can keep getting new viewers all through the season.

Then they all go and by the DVD box set at the end, go home to watch it, and fall asleep in front of the telly after the 3rd episode and the 10th beer.
cheers
Dave.

DMc said...

Thanks for the comments, all.
Bill, I think your influences are right on the money. And it is indeed a combination of factors that drive the resurgence.

But the DVD sets, to me, are the most interesting. Because cable fare had been trending toward quality for years. Once HBO showed that model, and FX, TNT, Comedy Central etc started producing their own stuff, it was only a matter of time.

But 24 is a different story. People forget now but the first season of 24 was not a huge hit. What bumped it up to hit status was FOX very smartly releasing that boxed set in the summer before the second season premiere. People bought or rented, caught up, and were there.

The move to schedule serial dramas without a break is also driving this trend. This combination of factors helped not only 24, but also Alias.

Alex Epstein said...

It's not just the Canadian nets. Showcase aired Naked Josh first season in order. Oxygen skipped the pilot episode. You know, the one in which we set up all the characters. Fox did the same thing to Firefly. Who knows what the logic was.

I like the idea of a continuing trailer/recap on a website. But then, most drama shows have a Previously On which should tell you most of what you need to know.

Cunningham said...

Yes, Alex - I too like the "saga sell" at the beginning of shows that catches you up to speed. DEAD ZONE does this very well with a quick recap of the premise and then highlights from previous episodes you need to fully understand the episode you're about to watch. Eliminates the need for a full episode recap show.

Anonymous said...

I good friend of mine just moved here from Russia.

When she found out LOST was the same show she was wathcing in Russia (It's called soemthing like STAYING ALIVE there) she was overjoyed. She says the two things she missed most where her cat and LOST. Now she watches two episodes a day trying to catch up.

That's the overseas market for you.

My question is, how do you pitch a show like LOST, where the primary appeal is in the journey to the end of the mystery?

Grubber said...

"most drama shows have a Previously On which should tell you most of what you need to know."

That is very true, but I reckon those Previously On sections at the beginning are good for mainly regular viewers.

The website idea I was thinking of was mainly for people who come in half way through a season and want to catch up.

It also gets the viewers going to the website, hence market capture as well.

cheers
Dave.

Cunningham said...

With the TV on DVD segment of the Hoem Entertainment industry going strong, it's only a matter of time before a series PREMIERES on DVD. I imagine it will be something similar in scope to the first 4400 DVD package:

6 episodes
2 Discs
But with extras - especially commentary.

Then, the whole thing can go to Cable or syndication. That will be a major breakthrough for creators if it's a viable money maker. I would have thought that this would be the perfect format for GLOBAL FREQUENCY...